Licensed Practical Nurse (Team Lead)
Equitas Health is seeking a qualified Licensed Practical Nurse to join our team as we expand our clinical staff to better serve our patients. The LPN Team Lead will be responsible for providing day-to-day oversight and guidance to a team of Medical Assistants, as well as providing excellent care to Equitas Health patients.
The LPN provides nursing care to patients in the Equitas Health Medical Center and is part of a multidisciplinary team that provides comprehensive medical care to patients living with HIV/AIDS. The LPN assists with development and maintenance of clinical protocols, policies and procedures, collects data for the Equitas Health Medical Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) program and provides valuable input for day-to-day operations of the clinics. The LPN is a key member of the medical staff and has the responsibility to deliver the highest quality nursing care to clinic patients. The LPN collaborates with other professional Equitas Health staff and staff from other agencies to ensure Equitas Health patients receive specialty care and supportive services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving or having reliable transportation; written communication; relationship building with community partners and funders; utilizing a computer for typing and patient care; attending meetings; and presenting to small groups.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Assist and support the provision of medical and nursing care throughout the clinic. Provide direct nursing care to patients accessing the Equitas Health Medical Center, including, phlebotomy, immunizations, injections, and health maintenance screenings. Follow approved nursing and clinic protocols and procedures when providing care to patients to meet the nursing needs of patients.
- Provide comprehensive care to patients who call on the phone for assistance, triaging their medical needs and arranging sick visits as necessary. Maintain a nursing message line, checking for messages 3-4 times throughout the day and triaging level of need for response by the team.
- Review and complete daily tasks as requested by the Nurse Practitioner and clinic manager.
- Prepare exam rooms for patient visits by sterilizing and cleaning surfaces, and restocking supplies.
- Be responsible for infection control procedures in facility as established by the agency.
- Greet and room patients by effectively communicating with receptionist through electronic health record scheduling system.
- Collect vitals, chief complaint, medical history, medication list, and reason for visit within electronic health record.
- Coordinate exchange between the clinic and pharmacy before, during, and after the visit to ensure efficient flow.
- Document all care provided, including but not limited to specialty care, telephone triage calls and medication refills, in the electronic medical chart consistent with standard nursing practice and as directed by agency policies and procedures.
- Process patient referrals for specialty care and follow-up, as needed, to ensure quality specialty care was provided.
- Communicate with internal and external case managers particularly regarding Ryan White approvals, referrals, Patient Assistance Programs, and documentation for the Ohio HIV Drug Assistance Program.
- Provide follow up phone calls to clients or other professionals as needed.
- Educate patients on HIV disease, medical care issues and adherence strategies to prescribed medications and assess patient risk behaviors and educate patients in prevention of HIV transmission. Provide between-visit patient contact with patients, providing necessary medical reminders, instructions about medications/adherence.
- Develop a strong collaborative relationship with the HIV medical community to enhance patient access to services including specialists.
- Comply with the Equitas Health Health Care Corporate Compliance Standards of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Participate in preparing statistical and other reports as needed.
- Play key role on multidisciplinary team in providing a medical home for patients. Work with patients, physician, pharmacist, therapists, and case managers to develop appropriate treatment plans.
- Participate in other agency meetings as requested by supervisor including continuous quality improvement committee meetings.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients and conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Continuously grow and develop cultural competency, exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating unconditional positive regard to all Equitas Health employees, interns, etc. with an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Conduct special projects and perform any other related duties as assigned by the Nurse Practitioner or Clinic Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Qualifications:
- Active and unsanctioned license as Licensed Practical Nurse
- Certification in CPR/BLS.
- Three years or greater experience in medical setting
- Thorough knowledge of nursing practice standards.
- Ability to be flexible in work hours.
- Exemplary customer service as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and social service needs of persons with HIV/AIDS.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, chemical dependency and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA