Health Literacy and Engagement Coach
The Health Literacy and Engagement Coach (HL & EC) provides care coordination, identifies community resources, conducts peer support, and offers health education (information) to clients living with HIV diagnoses to improve their health literacy and achieve better health outcomes.
SALARY: 31,000 to 36,000
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving, and utilizing a computer for typing and data collection, attending meetings, assisting with care team coordination, conducting assessments and effective outreach with clients.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide Interventions and strategies to improve the health literacy of clients and increases the client’s confidence and conviction in their ability to navigate healthcare systems.
- Complete assessments focused on barriers to care and health disparities, and provide peer support to clients to successfully navigate and overcome identified barriers.
- Design educational outreach strategies to improve health literacy and help eliminate barriers to prevention, care, and treatment.
- Assist clients in creating a wellness plan that identifies their own self-determined goals, as well as specific objectives to carry out these goals.
- Shares own experiences as appropriate, and walks alongside the service recipient.
- Attend and positively participate in required team, agency, and interdisciplinary meetings.
- Coordinate and consult with other care team members to keep team informed of issues and progress of clients in achieving their goals
- Ensure timely completion of all required paperwork and adhering to all data entry be completed within 48 hours documentation period of client interactions.
- Work to increase level of cultural sensitivity, awareness and competency regarding Person Centered and Peer Delivered Services
- Incorporate best practices to address health inequities with Black MSM
- Work with Project Manager to develop and support new programming
- Receive regular weekly supervision from the Projector Manager, seeking additional supervision whenever necessary. Maintain appropriate referral sources and contact persons for community-based services.
- Coordinate with care team members (case managers, clinic staff, behavioral health, billing, outside agency, and Linkage-to-Care Specialists) to identify clients who would benefit from agency services.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients; conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Strive for continuous growth and development of Cultural Humility exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Maintain client files and records as directed by agency policies and procedures
- Complete accurate data collection, reports, and documentation to provide data for federal, state, agency and board purposes as assigned by supervisor.
- Work in conjunction with Equitas Health committees related to clients’ needs and services.
- Other duties as assigned related to this position by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous experience in a peer support or service delivery position. Some college to bachelor degree in human services or related field preferred.
- Self-care and communicate your needs in order to take care of your mental, emotional, and physical health.
- Knowledge of and experience working or living with mental health or HIV/AIDS required.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in, demonstrate a strong appreciation in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, mental health, sexual practices, and working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Knowledgeable in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Reliable transportation. If you drive, driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
- Self-starter/self-driven as much of the knowledge you’ll need, you need to find and figure it out on your own especially in terms of navigation, organizational and agency, processes, and circumventing barriers.
Background and reference checks will be conducted and reviewed at a case by case situation. Having a felony or drug conviction doesn’t necessarily preclude you form employment. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA