Assistant General Counsel - Business Development
Epizyme, Inc. is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to rewriting treatment for cancer and other serious diseases through novel epigenetic medicines. Epizyme is broadly developing its lead product candidate, tazemetostat, a first-in-class EZH2 inhibitor, with studies underway in both solid tumors and hematological malignancies, as a monotherapy and combination therapy in relapsed and front-line disease. The company is also developing a novel G9a program with its next development candidate, EZM8266, which is targeting sickle cell disease. By focusing on the genetic drivers of disease, Epizyme's science seeks to match targeted medicines with the patients who need them.
Epizyme has assembled a world-class team with a passion for scientific innovation and a commitment to developing novel epigenetic therapies. Join a dynamic, diverse and fun work environment consistent with Epizyme’s cultural attributes for success: camaraderie, collaboration, disciplined, innovative, openness, patient-focused and resilient.
The legal team is seeking an experienced attorney with 10+ years of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience with a focus on corporate law, licensing and collaborations. This position reports directly to the Epizyme General Counsel, and is based in Cambridge, MA.
- Serve as strategic business partner to the business development team
- Lead negotiator and drafter in collaboration and licensing deals
- Lead counsel managing key alliances, SEC reporting and corporate governance
- Ensure that clients are kept abreast of all relevant legal developments in their areas of business
- Coordinate the legal aspects of client projects
- Contribute to the achievement of clients’ business objectives
- Act as Legal Department representative on cross-functional teams, as assigned
- Coordinate with and support other members of the Epizyme Legal Team
Education & Requirements:
Candidates for the position should have the following: JD required, 10 or more years of experience working in private practice and/or in-house within the pharmaceutical industry, experience with counseling business leaders, and a strong understanding of the business and legal challenges that impact the pharmaceutical industry.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Substantive experience in executing business development in a life science company
- Experience working with pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medical device with M&A structuring and deal execution
- Knowledge of FDA promotional, advertising, and labeling requirements and processes for drugs
- Excellent academic credentials, including a J.D. from a highly respected, accredited law school
- Good standing of at least one state bar
- Prior experience as a member of an in-house legal department at a biotechnology or pharmaceuticals company preferred
- Experience working in a matrix environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to provide and effectively communicate sound legal advice coupled with a strong understanding of business needs
Epizyme, Inc. is a vibrant, entrepreneurial EEO employer committed to a diverse and dynamic workplace.