Associate Director/Director, Alliance Management
Epizyme, Inc. is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to rewriting treatment for cancer and other serious diseases through novel epigenetic medicines. Epizyme is broadly developing its lead product candidate, tazemetostat, an oral, first-in-class EZH2 inhibitor, with studies underway in both solid tumors and hematological malignancies, as a monotherapy and combination therapy in relapsed and front-line disease. The company is also exploring development candidates in its novel G9a inhibitor program. By focusing on the genetic drivers of disease, Epizyme's science seeks to match targeted medicines with the patients who need them. For more information, visit www.epizyme.com.
Epizyme has assembled a world-class team with a passion for scientific innovation and a commitment to developing novel epigenetic therapies. Join a dynamic, diverse and fun work environment consistent with Epizyme’s cultural attributes for success: camaraderie, collaboration, disciplined, innovative, openness, patient-focused and resilient.
We are searching for an experienced, hands-on professional in alliance management who will oversee the successful execution of Epizyme’s partnership agreements. S/he will need to amass a deep understanding of the partner strategy, program status and progress and build strong multi-functional relationships with the partner organization. S/he will be part of the organization led by our Senior Vice President for Business Development and Alliance Management who is also a member of Epizyme’s senior executive team.
Work with new and existing partners to ensure that Epizyme and our partner(s) achieve our mutual goals in the alliance.
- Ensure proactive and effective communication and governance. Coordinate across both organizations to meet both the letter and the spirit of the alliance governance provisions.
- Build expertise on partner company, in particular understanding the partner’s internal people, roles, and decision-making processes, in order to proactively engage with them to make decisions, as well as to know how and when to best engage reactively when unexpected events emerge.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of each contract as well as any associated or related contracts. Liaise and build relationships with Legal, Finance, BD, and cross-functional teams to ensure that contract terms are executed appropriately by Epizyme and the partner, including resourcing, finances, timelines, reports and information-sharing, disclosures, and decision-making.
- While keeping a close eye on the contractual commitments and boundaries, maintain a wider perspective and continually consider the principles, spirit, and long-term goals of the alliance in order to ensure we are always driving towards those objectives.
- Identify issues and opportunities that are “extra-contractual” and work both internally and with the partner to construct a path forward to address or capitalize on each. Engage managers and functional heads to discuss and brainstorm sticky points, strategize on potential solutions and escalation requirements.
- Coordinate external communication plans and execution to ensure critical information is shared in timely manner and to enable each party to effectively communicate with third parties in a meaningful manner.
- Foster alliance management understanding and skills across the organization.
- Support the strategy, development, and execution of durable, effective alliances by partnering with colleagues in business development to help structure the right relationships before they begin and to ensure contract language represents feasible deliverables for Epizyme and for our partners.
- Liaise with business development in the event certain parts of the partnership contract require adaptation and renegotiation.
- Lead process and decision-making around the conclusion or termination of alliances when they reach the end of their term or any other termination event.
- 8+ years in biotech or pharmaceutical environments with a minimum of 3 years in alliance management with responsibilities for pre-clinical and clinical and/or commercial stage collaborations.
- Track record of having managed successful alliances, as well as a desire and ability to perform both at a strategic leadership level as well as in a hands-on capacity.
- Thorough understanding of contracts and alliance governance best practices.
- Previous experience in business development is desirable.
- Prior experience in both small Biotech and large Pharma environments is ideal.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented individual who is likely to have an MBA and potentially other advanced scientific degrees or training.
- Strong general management and leadership qualities and an ability to influence across company lines.
- Understanding of the drug development process and working knowledge of the essential activities for all key functional areas.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including specifically, the skills needed to manage difficult conversations and interactions as they arise.
- Strong communicator with the ability to work with scientific and commercial team members at all levels.
Epizyme, Inc. is a vibrant, entrepreneurial EEO employer committed to a diverse and dynamic workplace.