Scientific Affairs Associate Director
Job Summary - a concise overview of the job
The field based Scientific Affairs Associate Director is an externally-focused, clinical expert who will help to build and execute scientific strategy around CCH (Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum). The primary responsibility will be in the area of scientific exchange and medical information with Health Care Providers. As HCPs with experience treating aesthetic patients, Scientific Affairs will help to create and deploy strategic plans for medical education, including opportunities to lead and conduct P2P education at medical congresses, residency and fellowship programs, and at regional levels. In addition, this role will interact with internal stakeholders from both the Commercial and R&D organizations regarding the scientific and medical information relating to Endo’s marketed and development assets. He/she will provide scientific input throughout the late stage development and commercialization phases in order to meet business unit goals.
All incumbents are responsible for following applicable Division & Company policies and procedures.
Scope of Authority - span of control (work unit, site, department, division, etc.), monetary value of budget/spend authority ( capital, operating, etc.), P&L responsibility, etc.
Ended Branded, R&D
Key Accountabilities - key outcomes/deliverables, the major responsibilities, and % of time
% of Time
· Develop and maintain long-term relationships at regional and national level with key opinion leaders, congress faculty, and top-tier HCPs who treat cellulite.
· Scientific exchange and broad dissemination of clinical information and data supporting CCH for cellulite, ensuring fair and balanced discourse. This may include hands-on training.
· Document unsolicited medical information from HCPs, providing responses via med info.
· Observe HCP usage of CCH for cellulite to help vet physician skill sets for peer to peer training opportunities.
· Scientific advisory boards (in conjunction with R&D, Medical Affairs).
Medical Congress Management
· Coordinate of congress activities, including outreach to thought leaders and dissemination of medical information. This will be in collaboration with medical affairs and commercial teams to conduct high-level scientific KOL meetings during congresses.
· Profile, manage, and audit relevant scientific sessions for all medical meetings.
· When appropriate, conduct educational P2P seminars and round tables sessions.
· Complete executive summary, including relevant session audits, follow-up from one-on-one meetings, competitive intelligence, and fulfillment of UMIRS through medical affairs.
· Work in conjunction with the appropriate internal departments to support Endo’s collaboration and interactions with professional society organizations, ensuring maximum impact and desired goals and objectives are met in a timely manner and in budget.
Training & Education
· Maintain and demonstrate thorough and up-to-date knowledge on body contouring and cellulite treatments, as well as product data.
· Demonstrate full knowledge of and ability to execute on approved medical platforms and P2P training initiatives.
R&D liaison, support to internal stakeholders
· Collaborate with Medical Affairs to educate internal sales teams on science and clinical data.
· Collaborate with Clinical Development on clinical study designs.
· Identify research oriented experts and provide scientific input to support investigator initiated studies throughout late stage development and commercialization phases; contribute to strategy in conjunction with medical affairs.
· Act as an interface for the dedicated teams (R&D, medical affairs, and commercial), supporting and implementing projects at the field level according to the business unit’s needs.
· Integrate and leverage an extensive knowledge of market and clinical practice of aesthetic medicine to anticipate opportunities and vulnerabilities as inputs to guide development strategies.
· Support Medical Affairs to build and execute medical education plans for education of HCPs in the area of CCH and cellulite.
Education & Experience
Minimal acceptable level of education, work experience and certifications required for the job
· Minimum of a BS degree in Nursing, Physicians Associate, or Nurse Practitioner degree. Advanced degree a relevant scientific or medical discipline preferred. An MD or DO with aesthetic experience would also be considered.
· 7-10 years of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience in R&D, scientific, and/or medical affairs.
· Previous experience treating aesthetic patients (plastic surgery or dermatology preferred) in a clinical setting.
Proficiency in a body of information required for the job
e.g. knowledge of FDA regulations, GMP/GLP/GCP, Lean Manufacturing, Six-Sigma, etc.
· Advanced understanding of clinical research in the area of biologics or aesthetics.
· Strong knowledge of both device and injectable aesthetic treatments used for body contouring, preferable with hands on experience.
· Strong knowledge of OIG, PhRMA, FDA, AMA and other relevant guidance.
Often referred to as “competencies”, leadership attributes, skills, abilities or behaviors that may be enterprise, functional or job specific e.g. coaching, negotiation, calibration, technical writing etc.
· Clear networking and alliance building capabilities with an ability to influence and develop others, and navigate the internal processes.
· Ability to work in cross‐functional team‐based culture.
· Ability to communicate articulately, effectively and make clear and persuading presentations.
· The ability to integrate medical know‐how with commercial implications is required.
· Ability to work in a complex environment with excellent interpersonal skills.
· A driven, energetic individual with experience of operating to the professional standards of a pharmaceutical company.
· Ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific, medical and commercial components of marketed products.
· Action oriented, flexible, able to adapt to changes in priorities, projects, and daily activities.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
· Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills are essential.
Physical & mental requirements e.g. lift 40 pounds, walk across plant/warehouse, business travel (% of time), driving as part of work responsibilities, etc.
· Ability to travel domestically up to 50% of the time and attend “out of hours” activities and events, including weekends and evenings on occasion.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required.