Major Gifts Data Assistant
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Major Gifts Data Assistant works under the supervision of the Operations Program Manager, Major Gifts. This position assists the Major Gifts team with data entry needs for the frontline fundraisers for their activities with organization’s largest donors. This position will work in an administrative capacity to ensure timely, accurate, and consistent data entry for donor related responsibilities. This will include, but is not limited to assisting in entering donor correspondence and meeting notes, updating donor records, entering information on donor plans, and participating on various data hygiene projects.
The Assistant will also support the Major Gifts team in the Moves Management process by coordinating bi-monthly portfolio meetings, as well as providing support to the Major Gifts Director for monthly donor progress meetings.
The candidate should have demonstrated ability in using databases or a strong desire to learn.
This position is based in our headquarters located in San Francisco, CA.
Portfolio Management (30%)
- Coordinate unique agendas and execute bi-monthly Portfolio Management Meeting activities for Major Gifts team (14 officers)
- Coordinate monthly Donor Progress Meetings with the Major Gifts Director and provide data in advance of the meetings
- Track and reconcile team’s solicitations, budget, and revenue within the database and provide data to team
- Ensure team systems and tools are used effectively and that project execution is done accurately and in accordance with all adopted departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
Financial Documentation for Donors (10%)
- Coordinate with Fundraisers and Finance department in the creation of donor requested financial reports, budgets, and other documentation whilst managing the tracking of deadlines for these reports across the whole team
- Work with Finance Department to create programmatic budgets to support fundraisers in their donor strategy and solicitation activities
Data Entry and Integrity for Major Gifts Team (50%)
- Monitor the data entry inbox and ensure all donor email exchanges are accurately entered for frontline fundraisers across the country.
- Ensure donor engagement information is captured in the database in an accurate and timely fashion.
- In conjunction with the Operations Program Manager, assist in the annual Board of Trustee and Council work plans process and data tracking.
- Support team in data entry projects for activities, including annual solicitations, mass emails, etc.
Database Administration (10%)
- Participate in the execution of Major Gifts data hygiene projects to ensure accurate donor information is reflected in donor database.
- Responsiveness to fundraisers on donor movement related to the database.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years of relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of four years of relevant experience required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in Development preferred.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including ability to work comfortably with data sets and numbers.
- Excellent analytical skills, diplomacy and discretion, and the ability to adapt, cooperate effectively, and creatively problem solve.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude.
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including Board members, donors, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- A strong communicator who can interact with staff members across the organization.
- A self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently, and possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and highly detail‐
- Solid knowledge of MS Word and Outlook, as well as advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Database management skills required with ability to produce reports and to use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or similar donor database, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically.
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, Board members, and colleagues and in handling confidential information.
- Sense of humor desired.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $52,900 - $58,800
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to email@example.com
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.