Communications Project Manager
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco, with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.
In addition to a talented cadre of environmental lawyers and legislative advocates, Earthjustice has an amazing communications department that works in partnership with every other department at the organization. This position is responsible for working in the Marketing team to help guide the growth of Earthjustice brand awareness, engagement and support. This person will provide marketing expertise across an array of marketing areas including strategy, advertising, media and insights. This position will help drive the execution of marketing efforts as well as the day-to-day department needs.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
The Communications Project Manager plays a vital role in growing and diversifying our audiences by ensuring key communications projects run smoothly, on time and within budget. Reporting to the Content Strategy Director (with a dotted line to relevant Project Sponsors), the Communications Project Manager is responsible for leading and managing special projects and campaigns within Communications. Provides leadership and oversight for planning, executing, and evaluating projects according to timelines and budgets. Working with various project sponsors and with cross-functional stakeholders, the Communications Project Manager will ensure quality control throughout project life cycles.
Project Management: Manage 3-5 Major Campaign Projects, as assigned (50%)
Plans, organizes, monitors, and oversees projects utilizing cross functional teams to deliver defined requirements, and meet strategic communication and organizational objectives.
- Work with the Project Sponsor and project team to develop project plans, including project life cycles, project requirements, resource requirements, change management processes, risk management, key milestones, communication mechanisms, and deliverables.
- Leads the project team to develop and execute the Project in accordance with the plan created, along with the applicable corporate standards, guidelines, and processes
- Ensures previous projects’ Lessons Learned and applicable industry experience is incorporated into the project execution plan
- Create and maintain the project schedule.
- Navigates the projects through associated deliverables and stage gates (estimates, schedules, gates, deliverables, etc.).
- Working with the project sponsor, determine how results will be measured, and complete a post-project evaluation to determine how well results were achieved.
- This position and the Project Sponsor are responsible for the campaign project(s) completion, success and outcomes.
Leadership and Problem-Solving (20%)
Provide leadership and problem-solving for assigned project(s), including leading the project team in conjunction with the Project Sponsor. Serve as the primary point of contact for the project(s) for the organization, and manage and resolve any changes or issues related to the project(s).
- Serve as the primary point of contact for project updates and status.
- Build, nurture and maintain creative and cooperative working relationships with Marketing teams and managers, including other area managers as needed.
- Negotiate with project stakeholders to identify resources, resolve issues, and mitigate risks.
- Act as mediator between team members and stakeholders and escalating issues when appropriate
- Resolve any issues and solve problems throughout the project life cycle.
- Effectively manage project scope by ensuring any changes to scope are documented and approved.
- Determine if any external consultants or contractors will be required to complete project plans, and work with project sponsor to recruit appropriate staffing resources if required.
Reporting, Tracking and Communication (20%)
Develops reports and recommendations, and communicates plans via written and oral presentations to project sponsors, stakeholder groups, and the organization.
- Track and report on project milestones and provide status reports.
- Functions as interface/liaison across organizational structures to facilitate coordinated strategies.
- Maintain detailed project documentation including meeting minutes, action items, issues lists and risk management plans.
- Coordinate cross-functional meetings with various functional areas to meet overall stakeholder expectations and company's objectives.
- Continuously identifies & implements process changes & improvements and planning methodologies to enhance performance across projects.
Provide administrative support for the project, including data entry, data management and other items as needed to move the project forward.
- Data Entry and Management in project management software.
- Reviewing collateral to ensure that it meets the brand standards and the campaign goals.
- Maintain a repository for campaign assets.
- Meet with individual teams, as needed, to discuss the project(s) and deliverable(s).
- Assist with any tasks needed to move the project forward
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or Communications or relevant work experience
- Certification recognized by Project Management Institute is a major asset.
- 5 years of experience in similar roles (nonprofit experience preferred)
- Familiarity with project management tools and/or software packages.
- Strong interpersonal management skills
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Strong strategic, operational, and technical marketing and management skills.
- Rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
- Excellent communication, leadership, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
- Ability to work independently, perform multiple tasks, complete tasks on schedule and respond to deadlines, and interact effectively with people inside and outside the organization.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $84,800 - $94,200
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Interested candidates must submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover Letter
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.