Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Executive Assistant will provide a broad range of executive administrative support to the SVP of Operations, General Counsel, and the SVP’s Chief of Staff/Operations Leadership Team Director. This support will include managing schedules, facilitating workflows, planning travel, and organizing and coordinating team meetings. The ideal individual will have strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent administrative and organizational skills, and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. The Executive Assistant must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with good judgment and discretion.
The Executive Assistant will work from our San Francisco, CA office.
Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are currently working remotely from approved locations. Beginning no earlier than March 1, Earthjustice staff will be working two days a week in the office. After six months, the Executive Leadership Team will evaluate whether to adjust our hybrid work plan.
Executive Administration (75%)
- Provide administrative support to the SVP of Operations, General Counsel’s Office, and the SVP’s Chief of Staff to facilitate the flow of work with internal staff and external stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary scheduler for the SVP, General Counsel’s Office, and the SVP’s Chief of Staff. Coordinate with internal stakeholders to ensure their time is allocated in accordance with strategic priorities.
- Manage the daily schedule of the SVP, General Counsel, and the SVP’s Chief of Staff, proactively ensuring they know their schedules in advance and keeping executive staff informed when appropriate.
- Ensure the SVP is set up for video conferencing and prepared in advance for meetings.
- Set up and revise presentations or spreadsheets, and copyedit documents, as needed.
- Take notes at meetings and distribute materials before or after meetings, as needed.
- Prepare expense reimbursements & conduct credit card reconciliations.
- Prepare filings and assure filings are completed as directed.
- Prepare and send correspondence.
- Set up and/or maintain files. Coordinate travel arrangements and expenses for supported executives.
Meeting & Logistical Planning and Coordination (15%):
- Plan and execute logistics and coordinate follow-up action items for the Operations department, management, and team meetings, retreats, and other gatherings.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and expense protocols for participating staff.
- Coordinate compilation and distribution of materials and other supplies for meetings.
- Determine technical and logistical needs for on and off-site events.
- Interface with vendors and job candidates to schedule interviews and meetings.
Operations Communications and Project Support (10%):
- Provide support to Earthjustice colleagues who need help finding the right operations resources for their needs.
- Support internal communications within Operations and from Operations teams to the rest of Earthjustice, including gathering and editing content from Operations teams as needed.
- Maintain Operations sections of internal website, as needed.
- Gather all information needed from various departments for semi-annual insurance renewals and complete drafts of applications for insurance.
- Manage and complete any other duties or special projects as assigned, including research and planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience and/or qualifications, such as Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®), Professional Administrative Certificate of Excellence® (PACE®), Certified Executive Administrative Professional® (CEAP®).
- Preferred 5 years or equivalent work-related experience supporting executives.
- Experience providing executive support, managing complex schedules, and planning on- and off-site meetings.
- Strong calendar management experience for multiple schedules and calendars.
- Strong knowledge of and extensive experience using the Office365 suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint).
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive business and a wide range of personalities with tact and diplomacy.
- Successful track record organizing, prioritizing, and managing multiple tasks from several stakeholders with excellent results.
- Highly resourceful, proactive team-player with the ability to be effective independently.
- Embraces relevant technology and actively improves their skills through informal and formal training.
- Understands and is adaptable to a dynamic environment with constant change.
- Experience with non-profit or public interest organizations preferred.
- Experience working in a law firm preferred.
- Exceptional ethical standards, humility, empathy, sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary for San Francisco, CA: $87,300 - $97,000
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover letter
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts resumes submitted for positions that are currently open. Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not submitted via the on-line application process (where available), will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.