Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Office Assistant assists the Lobbying and Office Manager and other staff in managing the day to day functions of the office and helps with events and projects. Provides operational and administrative services as needed to the team.
- Greets guests and meeting attendees, alerts staff of visitors, and helps visiting Earthjustice employees find work space within the office suite.
- Serves as back-up to L&O Manager for facilities-related issues, secondary point of contact for facility-related vendors, and additional safety coordinator for building/office emergencies.
- Provides administrative support and serves as a resource to visitors, clients, volunteers, clerks, and interns on a variety of subjects including office equipment, software application usage, and general office policies and procedures.
- Maintains and updates office key list for entry into the building/suite/fitness center.
- Notifies staff of building maintenance, events, closures and adjusted hours of operation.
- Ensures overall appearance of regional office, housekeeping and organization, to include straightening conference rooms after meetings, regular cleanup of common areas, etc., document retention, and recycling program.
- Creates, posts, and manages the monthly kitchen duty assignment calendar.
- Signs for packages; receives and sorts U.S. mail and newspapers; sends out Federal Express, UPS and USPS packages.
- Calendars and coordinates use of the video-conferencing equipment.
- Maintains large and small conference room calendars.
- Keeps running list of inventory in the supply room.
- Assists with overflow assignments and miscellaneous tasks (e.g. printing, scanning, copying, etc.)
- Updates calendars, staff list, issue codes list, etc., as necessary.
- Continuously improves office environment, operations, and processes.
- Contributes to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
- Works closely with and provides administrative support to L&O Manager.
Technology Support (10%)
- Assists with office IT functions, including familiarity with copier, printers, laptops, phones, standard organizational software, and other office equipment.
- Manages internal e-mail distribution lists, and adds/removes staff as necessary.
- Maintains electronic files for PAL team.
- Maintains all online accounts, website passwords, and subscriptions.
- Coordinates with L&O Manager on printing issues throughout the office.
- Scans and saves financial documents.
- Assists with processing invoices and expenses for PAL team and Earthjustice Action.
- Opens mailed invoices and organizes documents for L&O Manager to pay and process.
Special Projects (30%)
- Assists with planning of office/internal events.
- Arranges food/catering services for internal meetings and special events.
- Assists with onboarding new hires, and departure activities.
- Drafts and adds content to the PAL Intranet Page (Atlas).
- Coordinates PAL attendance at special external events as assigned (luncheons, receptions, etc.)
- Conducts general research regarding hotel rates, conference facilities, transportation services, etc. for staff and visitors.
- Assists with the administration and functioning of affiliated 501c4 organization as directed by L&O manager.
- May conduct occasional research to assist lobbyists or V.P. PAL.
- Minimum of 2 years full-time working experience in Administrative support capacity.
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent years’ experience preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with confidential information.
- Strong detail orientation, self-motivation and organizational skills a must.
- Advanced skills in MS Office Suite: Power Point, Excel, and Word.
- Reporting and analytical skills and experience, a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess flexibility to work as a team and also independently with little supervision.
- Ability to handle a diverse workload and multi-task as needed.
- Sense of humor desired.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in Earthjustice via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.