Senior Payroll & Accounts Payable Specialist
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for a Senior Payroll & Accounts Payable Specialist join the Finance team in San Francisco, CA or Washington DC.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to combat climate change and promote clean energy. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Chicago, Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position processes payroll and accounts payable; calculates and processes retirement benefits, provides customer service support to staff on accounts payable and retirement plan administration, performs other general accounting duties as needed, and helps train new Finance department staff members as needed.
Accounts Payable (40%):
- Review, code, and enter payables into accounting system
- Print, sort and ensure proper signatures on checks for mailing
- Add new vendors and maintain vendor files
- Research and respond to Accounts Payable inquiries
- Monitor organization-wide vendor W-9 submissions
- Prepare vendor 1099 forms
- Train and support Legal Practice Administrators on accounting policies, procedures and systems
- Responds to accounting related questions from headquarters and regional office staff regarding financial reports, and provides appropriate interpretation as necessary
- Conduct field audits of regional offices in collaboration with Finance team
- Function as team member for various system upgrade or implementation projects (e.g. Netsuite, and Concur)
- Maintain the organizational credit card program (Mechanics, Capital One, and American Express) including:
- Card issuance, acting as point of contact for card holders.
- Pay the organizational monthly balance, reconciling the month end manual payment journal.
- Work closely and in a timely manner with the bank to resolve any credit card issues experienced by staff members.
Payroll and Employee Benefits (45%):
- Perform payroll activities for the organization, including:
- Act as a point of contact for payroll inquiries
- Add transportation benefits, 403(b) benefits and, other HR changes to payroll
- Troubleshoot payroll issues directly with employees, as needed
- Process and enter employee reimbursements
- Track employee time and attendance entry, follow up with employees and supervisors to ensure entries are completed and approved on time
- Acts as primary Time and Attendance contact for the organization, including providing support for employees and troubleshooting system problems with payroll service.
- Closely review unusual pay events i.e., bonuses and terminations, and make necessary adjustments
- Download monthly payroll data into accounting system
- Work with payroll service to resolve timekeeping, payment coding, and multistate payroll tax issues
- Aggregate, enter, and reconcile all organization-wide employee expense reports that are paid through payroll
- Process 457 plan and 403(b) plan contributions, including:
- Create semi-monthly schedule of employee and employer contributions and maintain running annual records of contributions and remittances;
- Calculate the monthly employer match for the 403(b) plan
- Maintain fiscal year and calendar year aggregate contributions to track employees reaching IRS maximum;
- Track payments for 457 and 403B payments and reconcile with statements.
Audit & Compliance (5%):
- Gather appropriate audit information for annual audit, including preparing payroll-related schedules, pulling random checks and corresponding transactions, and answering auditors’ questions.
Diversity, Development and Professional Training (10%):
- Engage in DEI Department workgroups with staff from all levels of the organization.
- Actively participate in affinity group meetings, diversity lectures, etc.
- Maintain professional development training e.g., Advanced Excel, coaching, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required or
- 2-3 years of experience performing accounts payable duties
- Working knowledge of GAAP
- Experience in payroll processing and employee benefits
- Ability to effectively communicate and positively interact with people both internal and external to the organization
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Experienced computer user, including proficiency with ADP Workforce Now, Netsuite, Concur, Excel, and Word
- Able to work and think independently
- Ability to keep confidential information
- Display adaptability, flexibility, and Ingenuity
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills across a variety of audiences
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $78,400 – $87,100
Salary range in Washington, DC: $74,400 – $82,700
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.