Staff Attorney, Rocky Mountain Office
Earthjustice is seeking a Staff Attorney to join our Rocky Mountain Regional Office in Denver.
Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring those who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment for all. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with thirteen offices across the U.S., including the Denver office.
Attorneys in the Denver office handle a wide range of litigation arising primarily in the Intermountain West and Southwest. Our current docket focuses on: (1) protecting public lands and wildlife from fracking, mining, and other threats; (2) transitioning Colorado and other states from reliance on dirty fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy; and (3) defending disproportionately impacted and tribal communities from pollution and other environmental harm. The new Staff Attorney may eventually work in any of these focal areas depending on the needs of the office and our clients, but in the near term, s/he will be expected to focus on matters related to climate change and oil and gas regulation.
The Rocky Mountain office is located in the heart of downtown Denver near the federal and state courthouses, public transportation, Coors Field (home of the Colorado Rockies baseball team), and the vibrant LoDo, RiNo, and Capitol Hill neighborhoods. We are also a bike-friendly office, located near many of Denver’s bike paths. We strive to produce the highest quality legal work in a diverse, inclusive, supportive, and collegial environment.
To learn more about the Denver office and our work, click here.
- Lead litigation efforts in federal district and appellate courts, state courts and administrative tribunals.
- Develop new cases in a strategic fashion; conduct factual investigations; develop legal theories; draft pleadings and briefs; and otherwise manage new and existing cases.
- Collaborate in team problem solving, litigation strategy, and project management.
- Provide mentoring and supervision to more junior lawyers, interns and litigation assistants.
- Manage relationships with outside co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into litigation and other legal strategies.
- Contribute to efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- At least six years of litigation experience, with experience in the role of lead trial or appellate counsel.
- Proven research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Experience mentoring and supervising others.
- Ability to master new competencies as required to address client needs.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Creativity, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- A commitment to public interest work and a passion for Earthjustice’s mission.
- Ability to travel as needed for case work, court appearances and presentations.
- An awareness of, and sensitivity to, the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Commitment to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Admitted, or willing to apply for admission within one year, to the Colorado bar.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package that includes excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Staff Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Staff Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/staff-attorney
Salary depends on experience and location.
Salary range in Denver, CO: $127,890+ depending on experience
Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter that addresses (1) why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum you have written.
- Three professional references.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.