Associate Attorneys, CA Regional and Clean Energy
Earthjustice is accepting applications for up to three Associate Attorneys, two to join our California Regional team in San Francisco, CA and one to join our Clean Energy team in San Francisco, CA.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
Associate Attorneys, CA Regional
Earthjustice’s California Regional Office was the first of the now fourteen Earthjustice offices. With offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Sacramento, the California Regional Office covers almost all areas of our work. We fight for the rights of all to a healthy environment regardless of where they live. We fight to protect the magnificent natural spaces and wildlife found only in California. We fight to transition California to a zero-emissions future where everything is electrified, powered by clean energy, not fossil fuels. Eartjustice’s work in California is particularly important because California is both a health and climate leader on the one hand and yet is still one of the largest producers of oil, home to some of the worst air in the country, and faces some of the most challenging water issues. Associate Attorneys in the California Regional Office work on all types of matters in the California Regional Office through both litigation and advocacy. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases, but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of a Staff Attorney or Supervising Staff Attorney.
Associate Attorney, Clean Energy
Earthjustice’s Clean Energy team has a longstanding track record of success with our litigation and advocacy to reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels and increase reliance on clean energy resources, including energy efficiency, solar, wind, demand response, and storage. We see an unparalleled opportunity to hasten a shift away from fossil fuels; achieve major, enduring reductions in carbon pollution; and secure a cleaner, smarter, more equitable electric grid. The Associate Attorney position will be part of our increased effort to advocate for policies and infrastructure that supports a swift transition to a modern sustainable energy system. In this role, the Associate Attorney, Clean Energy will work to secure and defend rule reforms that eliminate market barriers to clean energy, and to challenge ill-conceived rules that subsidize coal generation and/or threaten to shut clean energy out of the markets. The Associate Attorney, Clean Energy applicant will spend a significant portion of time working on clean air and clean energy projects, including participating in Earthjustice’s Right to Zero campaign.
The level of duties and responsibilities for an Associate Attorney will vary depending on experience. However, among other responsibilities, the Associate should be able to:
- Conduct legal and factual research and prepare memoranda on issues relating to ongoing and potential litigation projects.
- Review and analyze a paper record and interview fact witnesses and scientific experts.
- Draft motions, briefs, and other pleadings.
- Prepare comments on proposed agency actions, permits, and environmental review documents.
- Advocate in front of administrative agencies for strong health and environmental protections.
- Investigate facts and assist with case development.
- Assist in or take the lead in preparing a legal brief.
- Appear in court under the supervision of a more senior attorney.
- Interact with clients and coalition partners on a regular basis.
- Communicate with the news media.
- Hire and supervise law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
The Associate Attorney program is a term-limited, three-year position with a potential for extension. This program is designed to help attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation.
- Law school graduate admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the California State Bar.
- Preferably, fewer than three years of litigation or other relevant experience post law school.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Strong self-motivation, solid work ethic, and sound judgment.
- Ability and willingness to work closely with others.
- Interest in public interest work.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Willingness to contribute to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two page cover letter that addresses why you want to work at Earthjustice and/or what life experiences draw you to Earthjustice’s mission. Please indicate if you are interested in the Clean Energy position specifically.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three professional references.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.