Executive Assistant & Operations Specialist
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Executive Assistant provides seamless executive support to the SVP of Operations and the leadership team of the Operations department. The Executive Assistant organizes and coordinates team meetings; facilitates workflow, manages schedules, and oversees internal projects. The ideal individual will have the ability to be creative, exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. The Executive Assistant must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Executive Administration (30%):
- Provide administrative support to the SVP of Operations, VP of Human Resources to facilitate the flow of work with external stakeholders and internal staff.
- Serve as the primary scheduler for the SVP and coordinate with internal stakeholders to ensure their time is allocated in accordance with strategic priorities.
- Manage the daily schedule of the SVP, proactively ensuring they know their schedule in advance and keep executive staff informed when appropriate.
- As the SVP is remote a significant amount of time, ensure that they are set up for video conferencing, have electronic documents as needed, and liaise with internal staff to ensure SVP is prepared in advance for team meetings.
- Monitor and oversee confidential management and other files, as needed.
- Set up and revise presentations or spreadsheets, and copyedit documents, as needed.
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Technology, General Counsel and VP of Finance, as needed.
Meeting & Logistical Planning and Coordination (40%):
- Plan and execute logistics and coordinate follow up action items for Operations department, management and team meetings, retreats and other gatherings, as necessary. Manage logistics for monthly supervisor calls, supporting SVP and VP of HR in the agenda planning and execution.
- Coordinate the travel arrangements and expense protocols for participating staff.
- Design, prepare and execute meeting support functions on and off site.
- Coordinate compilation and distribution of written and other materials and other supplies for meetings.
- Determine technical and logistical needs for on and off-site events and ensure they are met.
- Maintain a calendar of Human Resources events (i.e. benefits open enrollment) and support team in ensuring they are executed effectively.
- Interface with vendors and job candidates to schedule interviews and meetings.
Operations Project Management (30%):
- Monitor operations support email account, route requests for support and follow up to ensure satisfactory completion.
- Provide support to Earthjustice colleagues who need help finding the right operations resources for their needs.
- Produce and distribute the Operations newsletter, The OPServer, including gathering and writing stories, photos and links to information.
- Maintain Operations section of internal website, including publishing newsletter and other information as needed.
- Gather all information needed from various departments for semi-annual insurance renewals and complete drafts of applications for insurance.
- Manage and complete special projects as assigned, including research and planning.
- Provide back up support to Operations project management team, as needed.
- Undertake any other duties or projects that may be reasonably required, and deal with matters arising in a timely and effective manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience and qualifications, such as Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®), Professional Administrative Certificate of Excellence® (PACE®), Certified Executive Administrative Professional® (CEAP®).
- 5 years or more related work experience.
- Strong calendar management experience managing multiple schedules and calendars.
- Strong knowledge of Office365 (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Exceptional ethical standards, humility, empathy, sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills.
- Direct experience supporting more than one executive staff person strongly preferred.
- Project Management skills/ability to prioritize work and balance several work streams at a time, a plus.
- Demonstrated experience providing executive support for senior staff and maintaining confidentiality is a must.
- Able to self-motivate and self-direct in the completion of complex tasks.
- Successful track record organizing, prioritizing and managing multiple tasks from multiple stakeholders, sometimes under time pressure, with excellent results.
- Able to handle confidential and/or sensitive business and people issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Understands and is adaptable to a dynamic environment with constant change.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to flex style and work with a wide range of individuals and personalities.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude.
- Experience proactively managing complex schedules and planning on and off-site meetings.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Highly resourceful team-player with the ability to be effective independently.
- Embraces relevant technology and actively improves his/her skills through informal and formal training.
- Strong computer skills and experience with MS Windows; Office365 including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel as well as the ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience with non-profit, public interest or legal organizations preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Skill in operating various office equipment. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching. Ability to conduct site visits and do other travel on occasion. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary is dependent on experience.
Salary range for the San Francisco Office is $90,700-$100,800.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the follow materials via the Jobvite system:
- Cover Letter
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.