Software Developer - Rendering
PLEASE NOTE: We are accepting speculative applications only.
We do not currently have openings available for the position of Software Developer - Rendering, however, we are accepting speculative applications.
If you would like to be considered for future opportunities, please submit an application. We will keep your details on our database and contact you when a position becomes available, should you have the required skills and experience which match this position.
Our Rendering development team (Render Tech) is continuously evolving our state-of-the-art path-tracing technology, allowing us to render high quality and award winning visual effects and feature animation. They are our experts in developing, integrating and supporting innovations which enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges with respect to shading and rendering.
As a Software Developer in Render Tech and part of a multidisciplinary team of Developers within R&D, you’ll influence the direction of the development of a range of shading, denoising, inbetweening and lighting tools at an exciting time where the rendering landscape is agile and evolving.
You will be responsible for:
- Partnering with our Rendering Supervisors and Head of Lighting to plan and provide solutions for current and future challenges for shading and rendering.
- Collaborate with CG Supervisors and Heads of Department to ensure technology can deliver the creative vision of the shows.
- Research and investigate new rendering techniques and technologies to provide solutions and techniques to improve our existing shading and rendering tools.
- Develop in C++ to improve and optimise our path-tracing renderer with a focus on quality, scalability and reliability.
- Providing technical supervision, coaching, and mentorship to Developers to support them in their career at DNEG.
- Identify, troubleshoot and optimise scalability issues in production.
- Produce technical specifications and documentation for the tools being developed.
- Investigating and fixing bugs, testing new and existing features and ensuring smooth implementation.
- Develop rendering tools and features to a high level of expected coding standards.
- Plan your own development projects, working with your fellow developers to schedule development work and establish project deadlines.
- Experience in writing a full path tracer with Integrators and BRDFs, or demonstrable experience programming for path tracers such as Clarisse, Arnold and Mantra.
- Proven experience in writing modular software using appropriate libraries in C++.
- Proven ability of testing, debugging, and extending other Developers’ code.
- Experience of working with and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Thorough understanding of performance considerations (such as multiple processor usage, runtime optimisation and memory management).
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent subject.
- An openness to explore new ideas and approaches.
- A pragmatic approach and ability to see the ‘bigger picture' and the desire to make a wider strategic contribution.
- Confident in navigating ambiguity and providing solutions.
Nice to have:
- Practical knowledge of Clarisse, Katana or Houdini for lighting and rendering.
- Familiarity with the VFX pipeline, look-dev and lighting tools.
- Knowledge of other programming languages, and an interest and ability to learn other programming languages as required.
- An artistic eye is beneficial.
- Work within a multi-discipline team to ensure that features work with wider systems and content creators.
- Experience and knowledge of 3D Content creation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max or Cinema 4D.
- In depth knowledge of areas such as modern GI and ray tracing techniques, volumetric and physically based rendering.
Commitment to diversity
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.