Software Developer - Creature FX
The Production Technology department at DNEG support multiple film projects in parallel; from initial design and on-set supervision, to production and post-production, developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of award-winning visual effects and feature animation work.
Our Creature R&D group is a talented team of Software Developers who specialise in building tools to facilitate the creation of complex and impressive creature FX. You will work as part of a team who partner with our artists to improve the performance and capabilities of our in-house fur system, enable increased artistic creativity and take on a broad range of challenges - from developing algorithms to generate procedural geometry in the modelling of hair and fur, through to ensuring seamless integration into DNEG’s software ecosystem in collaboration with our Pipeline team. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, supporting and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline, developed predominantly in C++ and Python.
Our Software Developers are highly technical and are methodical in their approach to solving complex problems. You will be required to:
- Investigate solutions and techniques to improve our existing tools and software packages.
- Develop new software and tools which integrate into DNEG's pipeline.
- Present ideas for development opportunities to the Lead and Senior Developers.
- Produce technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop.
- Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
As well as being technically proficient, you will also need to be a good communicator - you will be producing technical documentation, communicating development timeframes and presenting your ideas to the Senior Developers in your team. You will also be communicating with artists and non-technical production staff, therefore your ability to articulate complex technical information to non-technical people will help you thrive in this role.
We value your expertise, so with the help of our dedicated Technology Project Managers you will be able to plan your own development projects working with Senior Developers to schedule development work and establish your own project deadlines. The variety of opportunities available in this department allows our smart, creative and adaptable Developers to learn and grow while working at the centre of a dynamic R&D department contributing to the technology behind exceptional VFX and animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Demonstrable C++ software development experience.
- Working understanding of 3D mathematics.
- Ability to write clear, maintainable and well-documented code.
- Strong communication skills.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with the API of Maya, Houdini, Clarisse, or any similar VFX-related application.
- Understanding of relevant third-party technologies such as Alembic and Qt.
- Practical knowledge of developing with standard tools and APIs such as git, CMake and Boost.
- Experience of development in a Linux environment.
- Good understanding of multi-threaded programming.
- Python knowledge.
- VFX industry experience.
Commitment to diversity
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.