Lead Roto, Prep and Matchmove Tools Developer
As the Lead Roto, Prep and Matchmove (RPM) Tools Developer you will be responsible for leading a team of software developers to improve, maintain and support the tools used by RPM artists to produce our award winning Visual Effects work. You will work closely with senior stakeholders to determine the development roadmap for improving our RPM tools, while working closely with our RPM artists to understand their needs and requirements for new RPM tools, written in Python and C++.
Our Lead Developers are highly technical and are enthusiastic leaders. You will be regularly required to:
- establish technical requirements and specifications for improvements to our RPM tools
- ensure that appropriate software development practices are followed by your team
- contribute to the design, development and delivery of RPM tooling for artists
- work with a project manager to manage your team’s workload and manage the expectations of key stakeholders
- ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
You will be a supervising presence for your team of RPM Tools Developers, who will look to you as a mentor to develop their skills and as a coach to provide them with guidance through the software development life-cycle.
You will also be the primary point of contact for RPM artists to ensure they are supported by the work your team produce, so your ability to communicate accurately and succinctly between technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with excellent technical leadership skills to join Double Negative’s Production Technology department and lead a team of talented RPM Tools Developers. You will be responsible for driving improvement of the suit of RPM tools which are used by artists throughout the facility on the exceptional VFX work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- A bachelors degree in Computer Science or similar subject, or equivalent industry experience
- Extensive experience writing software for RPM artists in Python and C++
- Demonstrable experience leading a team of software engineers
- Practical experience writing extensions for industry standard RPM software such as Mocha, Silhouette, PFTrack, 3D Equalizer, Nuke and Maya
Nice to have:
- Experience with automated software testing methodologies and tools
- Working knowledge of additional programming languages
- Working knowledge of other areas of the visual effects pipeline
- Experience using and/or writing extensions for other industry standard VFX software
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.