Lead Compositor (Feature Animation)
PLEASE NOTE: We are accepting speculative applications only.
We do not currently have openings available for the position of Lead Compositor, however we are accepting speculative applications.
If you would like to be considered for future opportunities, please submit an application. We will keep your details on our database and contact you when a position becomes available, should you have the required skills and experience which match this position.
Lead Compositors at DNEG Feature Animation are integrated into the lighting team and work closely with the Lighting Supervisors and Leads in developing compositing templates for the show, improving compositing workflows, and supporting the team, in addition to doing some shot-compositing work. On Feature Animated shows, lighting and compositing work is completed within one department, and the Lead Compositor will be an experienced compositing specialist who will concentrate on a show's compositing workflow and techniques.
Main responsibilities as a Compositing Lead:
- Report to Lighting Supervisor
- Work with Lighting Supervisor and CG Supervisor to define compositing workflow for stereo as well as mono
- Mentor senior compositors in technical procedures and workflows.
- Report to the CG Supervisor and Tools department regarding the technical needs across the different departments using Nuke
- Define and create compositing show templates along with the Lighting Supervisor and the CG Supervisor.
Main responsibilities as a Compositor:
- Report to the Lighting Lead.
- Work under the artistic supervision of the Lighting Lead in charge of the sequence.
- Attend, complexity meetings with the Lighting Lead, and assist them to elaborate the bid of the sequence.
- Define the compositing template for the sequence, ensuring it’s easy to understand by the lighting artists; supervising and assisting where necessary.
- Work closely with the FX and Matte Painting departments to define the strategies and workflows regarding the render layers structure.
- Take care of the more complex shots of the sequence, if needed.
- Attend reviews with the Supervisor/Directors, supporting and giving compositing advice to the Lighting Lead if needed.
- Define the compositing strategy for the sequence alongside the Lighting Lead and Supervisor
- Experience compositing on Feature Animation or VFX shows using Nuke
- Experience developing compositing templates/gizmos/tools, ideally shared with other artists.
Nice to Have
- Experience mentoring & supporting a team of artists
- A knowledge and interest in photography and practical lighting
- Critical eye for details
- Team orientated
- Calm under pressure
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.