Lead Application Support Engineer
Lead application Support Engineer – R&D
The Production Technology department at DNEG is responsible for creating and supporting the technology used by our artists and the software infrastructure required by a multi-site, global studio. With multiple film projects running in parallel, from the projects initial design, to production and post-production, there are complex problems, which arise through thousands of artists producing tens of thousands of shots and sharing assets.
As the Lead Application Support Engineer in our core R&D team, you will be responsible for overseeing a team of 4 who provide technical support and solutions for issues surrounding the framework through which all our data flows. This framework comprises many in-house tools and workflows as well as industry-standard software. It supports the creative process and is highly configurable in order to meet the varying needs of Visual Effects, Feature Animation and TV production.
You will be a supervising presence for our team of Application Support Engineers, who will look to you to provide technical supervision, coaching, and mentorship . Your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills will inspire confidence and enthusiasm in your team.
You will be required to:
- Supervise your team of Application Support Engineers, who will look to you as a mentor to develop their skills.
- Allocate your team’s workload and manage the expectations of key stakeholders.
- Manage escalated issues providing 1st and 2nd line technical support to our artists as they use our framework of tools.
- Partner with Lead Software Developers to establish support workflows and optimise platforms for data sharing.
- Write technical documentation and workflow guides for artists and developers to use
- Manage escalated troubleshooting and debugging of application/software issues raised by end users of proprietary and off-the-shelf software.
- Validate your work with methodical and rigorous testing.
This is an opportunity for someone with excellent technical leadership skills to have a positive impact on developing a team in their careers and will be responsible for supporting and driving improvement throughout the facility on the exceptional VFX and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Prior experience leading a team in a technical support role, ideally in a service desk environment or a internal customer facing environment
- Extensive programming experience in Python
- Experience with source control systems and team development
- Experience of Linux, OSx operating systems
- Confident in navigating ambiguity and providing solutions when problem solving
- Be proactive and work with initiative, and comfortable with working in an agile environment with multiple priorities
Nice to have
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- Previous work experience in Visual Effects, Games or another related industry
- Familiarity with VFX software packages, such as Houdini, Maya, Clarisse and Nuke
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.