Software Developer - Scene description
Software Developer – Scene Description
The Production Technology department at DNEG is responsible for creating and supporting the pioneering technology used by our artists, to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of industry leading visual effects and feature animation for film and television.
As a Software Developer in our Scene description team at DNEG, you will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, building and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline. The scope of opportunities available in Production Technology allows a huge amount of growth and development working at the centre of an ambitious and agile R&D department to the technology behind exceptional VFX and animation work.
Your role will include:
- Investigating solutions and techniques to improve our existing tools and software packages.
- Developing new software and tools which integrate into DNEG's pipeline.
- Presenting ideas for development opportunities.
- Partner with artist supervisors to gather requirements and translate into architectural and feature specifications.
- Communicating development plans and complex technical information to colleagues in the development team, to artists and to the wider business, adapting your style as appropriate.
- Acting as a coach and mentor to junior team members by supporting them in their development with your knowledge and expertise.
- Producing technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop
- Ensuring that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
- Deep knowledge of programming in C++ and excellent understanding of software engineering practices.
- Familiarity with development in a Linux or Windows environment
- Ability to design and develop sophisticated application interfaces that provide an excellent experience.
- Practical knowledge of programming libraries such as Boost and the c++ standard library.
- Experience programming with Python.
- Fluency in areas such as data structures, algorithms, design patterns, data modelling and schema design. Proven experience in writing modular software using appropriate libraries in C++.
- Experience with source control systems and software development as part of a team.
- Thorough understanding of performance considerations (such as multiple processor usage, runtime optimization and memory management).
- A pragmatic approach and ability to see the ‘bigger picture' and the desire to make a wider strategic contribution.
- Be proactive and work with initiative, and comfortable with working in an agile environment with multiple priorities.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent subject or equivalent work experience.
Nice to have:
- Proven experience developing VFX-related tools
- Understanding of relevant third-party technologies such as Alembic, OpenEXR, Qt and OpenColourIO
- Experience exposing c++ code to Python using packages such as boost python or pybind11.
- Familiarity with other relevant VFX software packages
- Knowledge of other programming languages, and an interest and ability to learn other programming languages as required
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.