Production Technology Department Manager
As a Production Technology Department Manager, you are responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the department at our Vancouver office, working closely with local R&D and Pipeline leadership, as well as other senior staff within the facility. The role encompasses aspects of our Department Manager and Lead Project Manager roles, while serving as a local senior point of contact in support of the department's global efforts.
The Department Manager provides employees in the department with dedicated and consistent line management, ensuring appropriate crewing and career development throughout their employment at Double Negative. You will represent the interests of all of the members of the local Production Technology team, working closely with HR, Recruiting and Training.
In collaboration with senior Pipeline and R&D leadership, you will be involved in allocating development resources, evaluating the progress of development projects and balancing longer-term strategy with the immediate operational support needs of the facility. This requires making sure the right people are working on the projects that will get the most from them, leveraging your ability to recognise talent and understand the needs of production.
In addition, you will lead our local PMO efforts to deliver multiple concurrent software projects on time and to specification. Your team will look to you for coaching and mentoring in guiding them towards consistency of approach and achieving a high standard of project planning, execution and reporting as well as stakeholder and risk management. You will be expected to contribute to and follow global project management best-practices and standards as defined for the Production Technology department.
Beyond overseeing project management activities for the department, you will also be responsible for the monitoring and managing of day to day support requests for the department. Your knowledge and understanding of VFX production, project management methodologies and the software development life cycle will inspire and engage the entire facility as you champion the adoption of software project management, roadmapping and support processes.
As a key member of the local Production Technology management team, you will also be expected to chair and regularly contribute in meetings with senior management as well as interface with seniors in other departments. Therefore, your stakeholder management and communication skills should be exceptional and you should be able to inspire confidence whilst working to tight deadlines.
Above all, you will be at the centre of a global Production Technology department of 140 people which facilitates exceptional VFX and animation work on projects ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas. You will further develop your leadership skills and have the opportunity to work with some of the most talented individuals in the industry.
- 5+ years experience as a Project Manager or equivalent in a related industry
- 3+ years experience line managing teams, working closely with HR, recruiting and training
- Background in visual effects, feature animation or CG post-production technology
- Strong understanding of PM methodologies and tools as well as the SDLC
- Experience putting various methodologies into practice
- Track record of supervising a team of direct reports
Nice to Have
- Agile (Scrum/Kanban), PMP, or PRINCE2 certification
- Knowledge of program and/or portfolio management methodologies
- Understanding of ITIL service desk approach
- Proficiency with administering JIRA and MS Project or similar packages
- Empathetic leader, facilitator, motivator, delegator, mentor and coach
- Process oriented and passionate about project management
- Strategic, logical and resourceful problem solver
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Results-driven, forward-looking, mindful and influential
- Adept in a complex and fast-paced environment
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.