Visual Editor (Contract)
About the Role
The Spruce is looking for a full-time (contract) visual editor with strong experience in a creative role for a digital publication.
We are looking for a digitally savvy content enthusiast with a passion for all things home, pets, and crafts, who is eager to drive the ongoing evolution and growth of one of the biggest lifestyle sites on the web. The visual editor will work with The Spruce team to define and enforce the brand’s visual voice, and to improve user experience to ultimately grow traffic, audience engagement, and revenue. This is a full-time 6 month contract position.
About Your Contributions
- Define and enforce The Spruce’s visual voice
- Work with Dotdash design team on visual style guides for the brand
- Write/review creative briefs for illustration and original photography work
- Review and edit incoming visual assets for Spruce style and relevance
- Perform photo research and updates across new and existing content, including brand and business outreach
- 3 years experience working in a visual role for a digital publisher (experience in the lifestyle space is a plus!)
- Well-versed in Photoshop and Indesign, and impeccably organized
- Proven experience working with both photography and illustration
- You’d love to spend hours searching for the perfect photo, but can also move quickly to perform photo research and make a decision
- Proactive, flexible team player with a sense of humor, able to roll with the punches and take ownership in a fluid and fast-moving environment
- Passionate about all things home, garden, pets and crafts, and eager to share your knowledge of the world. You prefer to DIY rather than buy, you’ve designed your apartment from top to bottom, and are often the go-to person in your friend group to vet their own home purchases.
- You’re consistently up to date with industry trends and able to identify visual trends across the lifestyle space
- Detail-oriented and deadline-focused; basic copywriting skills a major plus
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy and ThoughtCo.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.