Food Editor (Contract)
About Your Role
Dotdash is looking for a digitally savvy content enthusiast with a passion for all things food. The Editor will work with The Spruce team to improve editorial content and user experience to ultimately grow traffic, audience engagement, and revenue.
This is a contract role for 4 months.
About Your Contributions
- Assign and edit new content from freelance writers and recipe developers to make sure our best practices are met.
- Review and update seasonal content—including replacing outdated images, rewriting headlines—as needed.
- Occasionally write or produce new content in-house, including product taste tests and super shareable/clicky round-ups.
- Collaborate with visual and social teams and other editors to brainstorm photo shoot ideas.
- Curate and promote our best content via email newsletters, across site landing pages, and through content partnerships.
- Work with team on ad-hoc projects with the goal of improving content quality.
- Proactive, flexible team player with a sense of humor and entrepreneurial energy, able to roll with the punches and take ownership in a fluid and fast-moving environment.
- Passionate about all thing food—cooking, baking, eating, ‘gramming—and eager to share your knowledge with the world. Consistently up to date with industry trends; able to identify topics of interest to a wide audience.
- Experience in application of SEO.
- 2-3 years experience developing and curating digital content for web, email, and social environments against business goals. Operating experience with content management systems and web analytics tools and experience using data and revenue goals to inform and develop digital strategies.
- Detail oriented and deadline focused with solid proofing skills. Strong copywriter, capable of writing engaging, lively headlines and blurbs. Prior experience editing recipes a major plus.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in journalism or communications a major plus.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, ThoughtCo., Byrdie, and Mydomaine.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.