Technical Writer & Virtual Trainer
At Deem, we create products that give employees everything they need to make better travel decisions, wherever they are. With the most intuitive, secure, and powerful travel solutions, companies save money, their employees stay connected, and everyone gets more done. That’s why more businesses are embracing Deem.
Deem is used by more than 50,000 corporate customers and plugs into the world’s largest travel management companies and expense providers. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with offices in Bangalore, India and Dublin, Ireland.
Deem is wholly owned by Enterprise Holdings, the world’s largest car rental provider, and an industry leader in mobility and technology. Enterprise Holdings is one of the top global travel companies, ranking ahead of all other car rental companies, many airlines and most cruise lines, hotels, tour operators and online travel agencies, based on its annual revenues.
The Deem Professional Services organization is a high energy, dynamic, agile, global team focused on providing AMAZING service to our customers. We focus on consistently exceeding customer expectations during the Deem deployment process – enabling our customers to gain value from utilizing Deem faster. Teamwork, accountability, great attitude and having FUN are critical to our team’s success!
We are seeking an experienced and professional Technical Writer & Virtual Trainer with a solid foundation in web technologies and familiarity with Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications to assume full responsibility for building and maintaining various documentation components as well as virtually presenting them. This position serves the larger technology organization by creating, updating, managing, and delivering technical documentation about our application architecture, application programming interfaces (APIs), and configurations. In addition, the role will involve virtual training of related materials to site configuration managers (technical users) as well as end-users.
You will work closely with management, subject matter experts, and technology teams. Activities include creating architecture descriptions and diagrams, API documentation, design descriptions, and more.
Successful candidates have the right mix of technical knowledge, technical writing skills, web skills, and creativity to deliver documentation and training in the format best suited for various audiences. For success this role requires project organizational skills, excellent communications skills, and the tenacity, humor, and people skills to work with and obtain information from a wide variety of technology team members.
- Create and update documentation for the Deem technical teams including but not limited to:
- API descriptions and details
- Architecture and design overviews, descriptions, and diagrams
- Application control, data, work, and error handling flows
- Configuration and infrastructure requirements and descriptions
- Network and infrastructure overview and detailed diagrams and descriptions
- Collaborate with systems and development staff to collect and interpret technical information.
- Develop documentation project plans and timelines.
- Edit written documentation of development and other teams to create unified and consistent support documents.
- Write Wiki, WalkMe, and release note content
- Update training scripts as necessary
- Provide virtual training to Site Administrators and End Users 20% of the time
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a technical or communications field with at least 6+ years of experience
- Experience documenting enterprise-scale application programming interfaces (APIs) and applications and infrastructure that run on Linux and UNIX-like operating systems for web SaaS and mobility products
- Experience writing API and Java documentation
- Working knowledge of web technologies including REST APIs, Java, XML, JSON, browsers, networks, application servers, storage systems, and database technologies
- Working knowledge of mobile technologies including mobile operating systems, development environments, and programming languages
- Ability to obtain detailed information from multiple subject matter experts
- Familiarity with structured documents and wikis
- Familiarity with XML-based publishing systems and HTML editors
- Experience with PDF creation, screen capture utilities, and image editing software
- Experience with visualization software to create images and diagrams of complex systems and infrastructure
- Experience providing virtual training to technical and non-technical users of SaaS or web-based products
- Experience as a team player in small to mid-sized companies
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and deliver high-quality materials
- Excellent REST API documentation skills
- Experience with source control software such as Perforce
- Experience with Confluence wiki, Jira, Ninja, and wiki editing tools
- Reading proficiency with XML, SQL, Java, Ruby, and other programming languages