Java Team Lead
The purpose of this role is to lead a team of Java developers for one of our major clients, Volkswagen, ensuring flawless on-time delivery and quality Java code. You are expected to lead by example, as the role is an equal split between hands on development and the oversight and leadership of two project teams. The role has ultimate responsibility for implementing processes, communicating and enforcing Java standards and quality across the teams. In addition you need to provide mentorship and leadership across the teams inspiring the best work from each of them.
The Java Team Lead reports to the Head of Backend Development with Sr. Developers as direct reports.
The role is a key leadership position within one of the largest and growing teams in the agency. The Java Team Lead needs to have a highly competent understanding across the entire Volkswagen portal and works hand in hand with the Technical Architects to ensure each project is suitable for the current platform and any future directions we may take. You will shape the future of the Java platform and are expected to lead towards new technologies when appropriate and suitable for the business. The overall platform currently includes a transactional website, mobile site and multiple data sources used by external applications. The portal is large and technically challenging, requiring continual updates and development. The role will work continually with other disciplines including Mobile, Front-end and Analytics to ensure projects are approached holistically.
Aside from the day to day development aspect, the Java Team Lead role has the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Heads to continually review and improve Java delivery to ensure quality and consistency for each project
- Ensuring Java estimates for each project are rigorous and accurate
- Point of escalation and resolution for project delivery issues for direct reports and team
- Act as stand in for Head of Backend Development as required
- Collaborate on the technical decisions for each project with the Technical Architect and Senior Developers
- Collaborate with project management team and the Head of Backend Development to manage the workflow and ensure appropriate team members are allocated to projects
- Implementation, coordination and management of the following:
- Coding standards
- Project scoping/ estimates
- Risk management
- Technical deployments
- Technical standards and processes
- Ensure the Java team have the right standards and tools in place to deliver leading edge work
- Build strong relationships with any 3rd party Java suppliers to ensure quality and timely delivery
- Lead and motivate a team of highly competent Java developers – ensuring reviews, training, feedback, etc. is completed across the team
A candidate for this role will be a Java developer (with 5+ year’s commercial development experience) who has experience leading a team and working on large, complex portal environments
You would ideally have;
- Proven track record of development experience working on IT projects of high complexity
- Excellent knowledge of Internet, J2EE and Web technologies including popular Open Source frameworks and tools
- Ability to analyse, profile and refactor code and processes to improve quality and performance
- Solid experience of working in a Java Enterprise/Web environment
- Excellent working knowledge of database technologies i.e: MongoDB, MySQL
- Proven experience of common development tools (e.g. IntelliJ/Eclipse, Gradle/Maven, git, Jenkins, docker)
- Experience with modern CI/CD workflows
- Experience with Linux based systems and associated tools (e.g. RedHat, CentOS)
- Knowledge of common development best practices (e.g. TDD, Agile, XP)
- 4+ years hands on Spring/Hibernate experience
- Ability to quickly understand and code for a large, complex technical architecture
- Experience of developing and deploying large web based applications
- Experience of managing and coding simultaneous projects with complex interdependencies
- Understanding of the project management processes involved in website/portal development
- Ability to multitask across projects and demonstrate flexibility to changing priorities
- Experience of scoping large technical projects with a high level of accuracy
- Experience using task management tools such as Trac, Jira etc…
- Competitive Salary.
- 25 days holiday per year.
- Pension scheme, Life Assurance, Permanent Health Insurance.
- Progressive training and development initiatives.
- Gym discounts, hobby fund, and lots more benefits to help you
- achieve a work-life balance.
Tribal is a Total Experience agency. Thinking beyond the established customer experience, we work with brands to consider the total experience – online, offline and internal engagement and processes – and create products, services and comms that people love.
Made up of six practices - Customer Experience, Creative and Social, Tech Engineering, Business Consulting, Data Science and Innovation - they can stand apart or snap together to help our clients create purpose built, best-in-class digital experiences. Endeavouring to explore the intersection between brands, technology and real life, we develop ideas that connect with culture and uncover compelling ways in which technology can add value to real people’s lives whilst delivering returns to our clients.
At Tribal, our 20-year creative heritage stretches all the way back to the inception of modern advertising and now connects us to one of the world’s largest creative networks. Since the day that our doors first opened, we’ve been shaped by a culture of constant progress and as a result, today we are a forward-thinking digital agency that can always be found on that hallowed ground where creative innovation meets usability.
An inclusive culture is at the heart of Tribal Worldwide London
We are a global Tribe and we believe diversity inspires creativity and change.
We welcome and respect diverse perspectives and are stronger for them.
We employ the best minds in our business and strive to ensure our environment is supportive and inclusive for all.
N.B This job description will not form part of the contract of employment unless specified otherwise.
Successful applicants will also be asked to confirm their eligibility to work in the UK and provide documentary evidence to support such status.