Group Account Director
DDB SF is the westernmost outpost of DDB’s global network. We like to think we embody the entrepreneurial, experimental and techy ethos of San Francisco, couched in the tradition and recognition that comes with the DDB name. Our clients reflect that: Energy Upgrade California, Norton and VMWare.
The Group Account Director (GAD) autonomously secures, manages and directs client business within the agency. She/he is responsible for overall account performance and growth and oversees multiple account teams while working in tandem with other agency disciplines to ensure mutual client and agency success. The GAD is committed to the success of her/his clients and balances that with the ability to guard the interest of the agency as a whole.
The GAD provides oversight and direction for account teams with regard to financial performance of client businesses. This includes review and oversight of contract development/management, budget planning and management, scoping of work assignments, budget and fiscal reconciliation of all projects, account team’s time recording, account profitability targets, purchase planning and invoicing, management of accounts receivables, revenue forecasting, and expense report approvals.
The GAD is responsible for building and maintaining positive and enduring client relationships across multiple levels of client-side management including senior/chief executives within the client’s organization. The GAD acts as a business partner to our clients and takes a leadership role in helping them solve complex business and marketing issues. She/he understands how to optimize all channels to meet a client’s business needs and has a keen and intuitive grasp of B2B marketing. The GAD is responsible for identifying potential marketing opportunities for clients, even if the client has not requested or identified such opportunities yet.
The GAD is a strategic thinker with outstanding organizational, communications, presentation and analytical skills. The GAD works with account teams to define success metrics for the entire account, as well as individual projects. She/he is obsessive about results and ensuring that client marketing programs are constantly fueled with the insights required to maximize effectiveness and drive positive ROIs. The GAD takes results from current client efforts and frames those to positively present the agency to the broader marketplace.
The GAD provides strategic guidance to the account team in preparing, implementing and delivering client presentations and recommendations. She/he provides overall direction for the client’s activities and helps the account teams plan overall programs. The GAD is a skillful negotiator working with clients and internal agency leaders to reach fair and equitable solutions.
The GAD periodically works with the account team and other agency personnel to conduct “brainstorm” sessions to think through all offerings to the various clients. The GAD is a powerful advocate for brilliant creative and a strong contributor to the creative process. She/he is adept at recognizing creative excellence and takes an active role in nurturing the seeds of great ideas through the agency, as well as applying ideas across clients.
The GAD has specific responsibility for new business efforts. The GAD is responsible for identifying potential clients, conducting account planning and market research applicable to potential work for new clients, developing and delivering capabilities presentations for potential clients and industry gatherings, and identifying and planning joint marketing efforts between current and potential clients.
The GAD is responsible for the professional development of her/his direct reports and guides their career path through the agency. The GAD stays apprised of the industry’s/community’s top marketing talent and actively recruits the best of the best as positions open up within the agency.
The GAD serves as a leader within the agency and represents the agency with the highest degree of professionalism—internally and externally. Possessing an instinctive “roll up your sleeves” work ethic, the GAD reflects the core attributes and culture of the agency. She/he is collaborative, fair, honest, accountable and relentless towards finding a better way for the agency and its clients.
Quantitative Success Measures
Current Account Growth
Client Year End PBT
- Financial Management
- Annual Account Plans
Qualitative Success Measures
Quality of Work
- Major creative award
Positive Work Style
- Responsible for overall account performance, growth and profitability
- Builds and maintains positive and enduring client relationships across multiple levels including senior executives
- Acts as client’s business partner
- Maintains comprehensive understanding of client business
- Understands the marketing strategy of the client’s business
- Understands the B2B, enterprise IT category and marketplace, is well versed in competitive issues, trends and strategies
- Ensures the agency consistently delivers measurable value for the services that are provided
- Is proactive in making strategic recommendations and cross-promoting value-added services
- Leads negotiation of client proposals
- Responsible for financial oversight of account
- Invoice approval
- Time reporting/approvals
- Expense reports
- Accounts Receivables
- Utilization targets
- Profitability targets
- Directs and manages Account team
- Provides appropriate guidance and direction
- Ensures appropriate team utilization
- Nurtures account teams’ professional development
- Timeliness/constructiveness of account team appraisals/reviews
- Demonstrates exceptional strategic and analytic skills
- Understands general markets and identifies unseen opportunities for clients
- Translates information, research and data into insights and insights into actionable plans
- Demonstrates exceptional communications skills
- Strong business writing skills
- Excellent verbal communications; is clear, concise and persuasive
- Outstanding presentations skills; persuasive, quick on her/his feet, brings credibility, “theatre” and charisma to presentations
- Drives creative excellence within the agency
- Works with fellow account/department leaders to ensure agency’s best interests are achieved; flexible in accommodating other agency/client priorities/needs
- Represents the agency with the utmost professionalism
- Promotes a strong sense of unity among agency disciplines
- Motivates teams to get best work
- Merchandises agency successes internally/externally