Location: Greenbelt, MD
Job ID: 1103
The Tier 2 Security Operations Center Analyst conducts network analysis of targets, operates daily open source research (OSR) missions, resulting in various reports and alerts, and possesses extensive knowledge on network, endpoint, threat intelligence, as well as the functioning of specific applications or underlying IT infrastructure, and has some experience with forensics tools, malware analysis, closely involved in developing, tuning and implementing threat detection analytics.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with alerts from the Tier 1 SOC Analysts, to perform in depth analysis and triage of network security threat activity based on computer and media forensics, malicious code analysis, and protocol analysis
- Assist with the development of incident response plans, workflows, and SOPs
- Deploy and maintain security sensors and tools and monitor security sensors and review logs to identify intrusions
- Think critically and creatively while analyzing security events, network traffic, and logs to engineer new detection methods
- Work directly with cyber threat intelligence analysts to convert intelligence into useful detection
- Collaborate with incident response team to rapidly build detection rules and signatures as needed
- Identify incident root cause and take proactive mitigation steps
- Perform lessons learned activities and mentor junior analysts and run brown bag training sessions
- Review vulnerabilities and track resolution as well as process threat intel reports and sources
- Develop and implement detection use cases and implement IDS signatures
- Assist with incident response efforts and create and brief customer reports
- Participate in on-call rotation for after-hours security and/or engineering issues
- Perform customer security assessments and develop and run table top exercises
- Fuse locally derived and externally sourced cyber threat intelligence into signatures, detection techniques, and analytic use cases intended to detect and track the advanced threat
- Understanding of root causes of malware infections and proactive mitigation
- Understanding of lateral movement and footholds
- Understanding of data exfiltration techniques. Experience with critical thinking, problem solving, and analytic concepts.
- Enjoy analyzing patterns looking for outliers
- Enjoy creating ways to find needles in haystacks
- Have real world experience analyzing complex attacks and understand TTPs of threat actors
- Define relationships between seemingly unrelated events through deductive reasoning
- Experience in network/host based intrusion analysis, malware analysis, forensics, and cyber threat intel
- Knowledge of advanced threat actors and complex attacks
- Possess excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate to technical and executive level staff
- Quick study with new tools
- Knowledge of Splunk & ELK
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Practiced knowledge of network routing and switching fundamentals to include knowledge of Multiprotocol Layer Switching (MPLS)
- Good technical understanding of operating systems, network architecture and design, Active Directory (AD) application log consumables, systems design as well as superior knowledge of technical operations process and procedures
- Knowledge of encryption, key management and cryptology
- Familiarity with the Risk Management Framework (NIST 800-37), Security Controls as described in NIST 800- 35, and the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA) operating standards and applicable guidelines
- Experience with performing threat modelling, risk analysis, root cause analysis, risk identification, and risk mitigation
- Experience planning and implementing secure networking practices such as: application segmentation, network segmentation, NAC and other access control testing/validation, updating access control SOPs
- Ability to configure and develop an enterprise SIEM solution including signature tuning, development of correlation rules, reports, and alarms
- Organizational Skills: Proven ability to plan and prioritize work, both their own and that of project team. Follows tasks to their logical conclusion. Understanding of project management principles and techniques (project plans, critical path, etc.), ability to develop security project plans and work with development teams to integrate those into development schedules - in both waterfall and agile environments.
- Team Work: Excels both autonomously and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a team toward a common vision or goal.
- Leadership: Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
- Communications: Ability to interact with senior managers, junior staff, and business unit (non- technical) customers clearly and efficiently, both verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
Education, Experience, & Certifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Business, Computer Science, security or other related degree and 10 years of experience; advanced degree preferred.
- Preferred Certifications: SANS SEC503: Intrusion Detection In-Depth; SANS SEC504: Hacker Tools, Techniques, Exploits and Incident Handling; SANS SEC561: Intense Hands-on Pen Testing Skill Development; SANS FOR610: Reverse-Engineering Malware: Malware Analysis Tools and Techniques; CCNA Cyber Ops; DoD certs; Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP); Offensive Security Exploitation Expert (OSEE); Certified Expert Penetration Tester (CEPT); Certified Reverse Engineering Analyst (CREA); Certified Computer Forensics Examiner (CCFE); Training on anomaly detection; tool-specific training for data aggregation and analysis and threat intelligence; Splunk Certified User or Power User; Splunk Certified Admin
Datastrong is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. If accommodation is needed in the application process, arrangements can be made with the local regional office.