QA Engineer – Multiplayer Specialist
This role specialises in the testing of the multiplayer component of Total War across a range of titles that are currently in development including DLC for existing releases and new projects in development. As a QA Engineer you will have the opportunity to work closely with our development teams to debug and accurately report on issues within multiplayer.
We are looking for someone with strong communication and organisational skills who enjoys playing multiplayer games and can apply a methodical approach to tasks and problem solving in order to thrive in one of the more complex areas of testing. They will need to be able to work with various disciplines within game development to provide detailed information and reproduction of bugs.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience working in QA in a development environment, who is familiar with the development process and has a technical background in a relevant field of software development. They will be familiar with test plan creation and execution and able to work independently to prioritise and complete tasks in the given time frames. They will have experience with testing multiplayer in games and be a fan of balanced competitive online play.
The primary functions of the role are to find, grade and report defects completely and concisely and aid in the reproduction and further investigation of issues as required, communicating key defects, feedback, testing requirements and potential risks to stakeholders in both QA and the rest of the development team.
You will be responsible for testing on multiple machines, simulating a multiplayer environment to find gameplay and design bugs unique to multiplayer. You will thoroughly test every aspect of Total War using debugging tools to identify networking and syncing issues.
Working with the rest of QA and the development team, you will aim to provide the highest quality multiplayer experience and overall release of each title worked on by the given deadlines. Achieved primarily through the logging and communicating of concise defects with the correct classification.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relay important information in the most suited format
- Previous QA Experience working in Games or other related software testing fields
- Proficient time management and organisational skills, able to handle multiple tasks and meet set deadlines and priorities
- Ability to follow set process and a methodical approach when investigating issues
- Ability to self-manage and generate tasks to drive the process and testing of an area
- Familiar with multiplayer games in both co-op and competitive play
- Wide ranging experience playing a variety of PC video games including the Real-Time Strategy genre of games
- A passion for video games and a desire to be part of the creative process involved in developing video games.
- 2 years plus of previous experience working on a AAA title in a development studio
- Experience playing a wide range of titles in the Total War franchise both new and old
- Knowledge of the development process and the various disciplines involved
- Experience using Jira, DevSuite and Perforce
- Experience in network and backend server testing
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience with animation or database related game tools
- Experience creating and executing test plans
- A University degree or equivalent in a relevant field that can be applied to Games Testing.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
Please note, we cannot sponsor a VISA for this position so applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support so you can truly excel in your area of expertise
- Support in Learning and Development; internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases.
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy
We are Creative Assembly
We gather the greatest talent out there, coming together to craft authentic and detailed experiences of the highest quality.
We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft.
Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.