Senior Gameplay Programmer
This is an exciting opportunity to join the award-winning Total War team as a Senior Gameplay Programmer.
You will be working as key member of the battle code team, collaborating with the design team to push the boundaries of Total War battles, and strive to make them better than ever before. This is an excellent opportunity to work on the next Total War title and put your personal stamp on the battle engine. As your experience grows and career develops there may be opportunities to lead teams on our future titles.
You will be working with the current TW battle team. Along with the design team you will work to improve existing gameplay and craft new and compelling features for future Total War titles. You will be expected to learn the sizeable codebase, and oversee the architecture of future developments, contributing to a roadmap of future game development. As your experience grows you will mentor more junior members of team.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Excellent C++ programming skillset.
- Strong analytical and mathematical ability
- Have worked as a gameplay programmer on a recent game
- Excellent communication skills to enable effective collaboration with programmers, designers, artists and production staff
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, identifying risks before they become a problem, looking for ways to improve workflow and the codebase itself
- Good academic background with a 2:1 degree or higher (or equivalent) in a relevant technical field such as computer science, software engineering, mathematics or physics.
- A desire to lead a team and take part in the technical road map of future titles
- Experience developing gameplay systems for real-time strategy (RTS) games or similar
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms common to game AI, such as finite state machines, agent systems, pathfinding, etc
- Broad gaming experience and a sense for good game design
- An avid gamer, and ideally a keen player of strategy games, ideally including Total War
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support so you can truly excel in your area of expertise
- Support in Learning and Development; internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases.
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy
We are Creative Assembly
We gather the greatest talent out there, coming together to craft authentic and detailed experiences of the highest quality.
We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft.
Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.