Network Security Engineer
401K, Health, Vision, Dental!
Established more than 60 years ago, Convergent is one of America’s largest business process outsourcing, receivables management and outsourcing companies, with twelve operating centers across four time zones.
We are currently seeking ambitious, self-motivated, driven TEAM MEMBERS! This is an opportunity to join an established team; immediately benefiting from the wealth of collective experience from our team while being supported by a strong and savvy, management team. Position open to candidates in:
San Antonio, TX
The Network Security Engineer’s primary duty is to implement and monitor mission-critical networks and systems directly related to the overall business operations. This includes, but is not limited to, using advanced systems analysis techniques and procedures, implementation, documentation, testing, analysis, reporting, securing and oversight of mission-critical enterprise network and security systems. This position frequently liaises with the Systems Administrator, Telephony Team, and business-unit application owners to design technology solutions to address business challenges. This position is expected to formulate, implement, and enforce technology-related policies that affect the security and integrity of Company data. This position will devise, set timelines for, and execute technology-related projects that affect the Company's business operations. This position will frequently triage, investigate, and resolve significant technology matters on behalf of the management, and as such will need to exercise great discretion and confidentiality. Extraordinary issues will often be escalated to this position by other members of the Information Technology Department; therefore, this position requires a high level of analytical problem solving skills to diagnose and resolve complex technology matters in addition to excellent communication skills. This position will frequently advise and provide expert counsel on technology matters to the Company's employees, management, and customers. Additionally, this position is required to maintain: routers, switches, firewalls, encryption devices, intrusion prevention systems, and monitoring devices. This position requires general direction rather than explicit supervision, and is given latitude on the methods used to achieve assigned goals. This position requires the exercise of thoughtful analysis and independent judgment in the absence of senior management.
- Management of all technical security equipment, including Cisco ASA, Palo Alto firewall, Cisco Defense Center - IDS/IPS devices.
- Responding to alerts and investigating potential data and security incidents.
- Managing time to appropriately balance ongoing projects and operational incidents.
- Understand and review router, switch and firewall configurations.
- Work with the IT team to implement and test Disaster Recovery plan.
- Carving out own responsibilities where a need is identified.
- Finding solutions, rather than problems in response to the needs of a given business unit.
- Oversee installation, implementation, configuration and support of Network components.
- Implement security measures to resolve data loss vulnerabilities, mitigate risk and recommend security changes or system components as needed.
- Perform security audits, reviews and identify security gaps in architecture.
- Provide cybersecurity recommendations to leadership based on significant threats and vulnerabilities.
Education, Experience & Training required:
- Security related technology certifications preferred.
- 5 years industry experience preferred
- 3+ year of Cybersecurity experience.
- Previous Cybersecurity tools experience relating to Firewalls, Network Monitoring, IPS/IDS, Email Monitoring, Data Loss prevention, etc.
- Very good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with management, peers and business partners.
- Advanced knowledge of the following:
- Palo Alto Networks firewalls
- WAN technologies including MPLS, BGP.
- Data-link layer technologies including VLAN, VTP, 802.1Q, etc.
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Understanding of security best practices, threats, mitigating techniques and the ever-evolving security landscape.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and individually.
- Experience with firewalls, IDS and IPS systems.
- Experience with a scripting language a plus.
- Prepared to work out of hours, or be on-call for network operations.
- An understanding of network design principles and common enterprise technologies.
- Understanding of information security principles and risk assessment techniques.
Critical Performance Competencies
- Analytical skills – identifies and defines problems; determines probable causes; suggests solutions.
- Attention to detail – follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data.
- Intelligence – acquires understanding and absorbs new information quickly.
- Planning and organizing – organizes and prioritizes work.
Job Type: Full-time
- Cybersecurity: 3 years
- Regulated Industry/Finance: 5 years
- Network Security: 3 years