Director, Medical Care Analytics (MD required)
■ DIRECTOR, MEDICAL CARE ANALYTICS
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
The Medical Care Analytics department performs acquisition, abstraction, and capture of clinically oriented medical-legal data. The department analyzes and interprets the data to generate knowledge that supports the activities of CMPA. In studying the data, the department assesses and identifies trends in provider, team and system factors associated with medical-legal risk. Within the safe medical care group, at CMPA, the findings of MCA inform programs generated by the Department of Practice Improvement as well as prioritization of stakeholder activities. The department also responds to requests for data analysis and leads the creation of peer-reviewed publications.
The leveraging of medico-legal data aligns with the CMPA’s strategic objective of enhancing safe medical care and requires a collaborative approach with both internal and external stakeholders.
The Director of Medical Care Analytics, as a member of senior management, contributes to the strategic direction of the CMPA and the vision for Safe Medical Care, and provides subject matter expertise and advice to other senior staff as well as CMPA Council members. The Director develops long and short-term plans for the department of Medical Care Analytics, and directs the people resources and operations of the department.
The Director manages an existing multidisciplinary team of professionals made up of managers, analysts, statisticians and clinical experts in coding of medical-legal files. The Department conducts medical-legal file review and medical coding for existing files related to medical-legal matters directed at CMPA members. The team identifies patterns, trends and opportunities to improve future care using diverse data sources and mixed methods analysis, and then leverages these data to conduct studies and author research reports and publications. The resulting work will inform programs and strategic directions at CMPA. The Director is responsible for advancing analytics of clinically oriented data at CMPA and leads the creation of the research agenda along with evaluating outputs. The Director works closely with others to share study findings that will further health care system and practice improvements.
- Develops an understanding of the CMPA’s business and the specific role of the department. Communicates this knowledge through the management team and regular staff meetings.
- Develops and maintains an effective organizational structure. Responsible for developing and maintaining a succession plan to ensure key resources and professional development in the department.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration across teams and departments.
- Provides direction in the recruitment, management, and retention of staff
- Manages the performance of direct reports, and provides regular feedback including the annual performance appraisal. May provide feedback to the management team regarding the performance of indirect reports.
Strategic and Operational Planning
- Develops and implements long / short-term plans, practices and procedures that are aligned with the CMPA’s objectives and are consistent with industry standards.
- Monitors industry trends and liaises with other organizations to determine the impact of Medical Care Analytics business plans as well as to identify business opportunities
- Identifies areas for improvement and consults with the Managing Director to discuss and explore new initiatives, programs and improvements at the departmental, group or organizational level.
- Leads the creation of the research agenda and evaluates research outputs.
- Prepares business cases for consideration of identified opportunities.
- Develops a multi-year operational plan and budget to achieve departmental and corporate objectives. Ensures the departmental plan, budget, people resources and operating activities are conducted in accordance with CMPA policies and guidelines.
- Oversees and coordinates the development of integrated performance metrics for the department that measure members’ and other business partners expectations and satisfaction, quality of service and efficiency of service delivery.
- Works with departmental management teams to develop and maintain high standards for the delivery of department services and products. Ensures the development of quality assurance practices and procedures.
- Provides information and reports to Managing Director and senior management on result/performance and issues or initiatives impacting other departments
Advice and Expertise
- Participates in senior management meetings where operations planning and reporting are reviewed, discussed, and recommendations formulated
- Communicates with other departments regarding issues of organizational importance in order to facilitate the understanding and work of all employees. Acts as a Champion of corporate priorities and change within the department and throughout the CMPA.
- Works with other Directors of Safe Medical Care to plan programs in practice improvement and stakeholder relations that will serve to advance patient safety and decrease medical-legal risk.
- Establishes and effectively manages external business partnerships, and represents the CMPA externally with integrity, resolve and professionalism. Fosters a culture of quality service to the CMPA’s partners while respecting the fiduciary responsibilities the CMPA has as custodian of the members’ mutual investment in the CMPA.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Medical degree (MD) and at least 10 years of experience in the provision of clinical care
- Experience in formulating research questions, creating protocols, analysing data and engaging in knowledge translation. Ideally health services research experience or administrative database research experience
- Research scientist in quality improvement, patient safety and related methodologies an asset
- Membership in professional organizations or relevant professional certifications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Dynamic individual who is collaborative and action oriented
- Demonstrated capability in interpreting data
- Expertise in multiple knowledge translation strategies
- Demonstrated successful track record of published research in peer reviewed journals
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills at a team or organizational level
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player
- Demonstrated ability to interact and interface with all levels of staff, senior management and stakeholders. Works well both intra and inter-professionally
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Expertise in managing operational plans, budgets and performance preferred
- Bilingualism (English and French) an asset
- This posting will close on Friday, August 14th at 4:00PM EST