Manager, Total Rewards
■ MANAGER, TOTAL REWARDS
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
For nearly 120 years, the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) has been providing its member physicians with medical-legal advice, assistance, and professional development, and is where providers and the healthcare community find insight to advance safe patient care.
The Human Resources department partners with the business to deliver strategies, services, and programs that attract, recruit, develop, and retain an engaged workforce that is fully capable of responding to evolving organizational needs. We know that empowering better healthcare begins with empowering our talented workforce and we are committed to providing our people with the support they need to continue driving our success.
The department’s core activities include people strategy and planning, organizational effectiveness, total rewards management, talent management and acquisition, organizational learning, employee wellness, employee relations, and HR technology and analytics.
The Manager, Total Rewards has overall responsibility for the plans, policies, programs, and practices in the areas of total rewards (compensation, pension, benefits, and employee recognition), and employee wellness. This includes the planning, design, delivery, communication, and evaluation of total rewards and wellness programs that enhance the Association’s ability to attract, develop, engage, and retain a talented and high performing workforce. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a Total Rewards Strategy, managing the implementation of new projects and initiatives, and providing leadership to a small team responsible for the service delivery of total rewards and employee wellness programs. The Manager provides advice and expertise to leaders across the organization as well as to the HR and Compensation Committee and the Pension Committee of Council as required.
- Develop an employee wellness strategy to support the health and wellbeing of the workforce
- Assess the market competitiveness, pay equity compliance, and overall effectiveness of the Association’s compensation and short-term incentive programs.
- Collaborate with others to evolve the CMPA’s performance management program to adopt a continuous feedback approach and greater emphasis on coaching and development.
- Implement benefits management functionality within the Association’s HRMS, Workday, to introduce operational efficiencies, improved data accessibility, and self-serve.
- Design, implement, and manage the delivery of a holistic and compelling total rewards strategy.
- Develop, communicate, deliver, and evaluate competitive total rewards and wellness programs (including compensation, pension, benefits, recognition, wellness, disability, and accommodation programs) for the CMPA and its subsidiary, Saegis.
- Provide leadership to and supervision of a small team of direct reports through effective coaching, development, performance management, and resource planning. Manage performance, learning and development, as well as attendance and leave of direct reports. Act as second level resource for issues that require escalation.
- Ensure all compensation, benefits, and pension related activities comply with the Association’s policies and guidelines and all relevant legislation.
- Act as the primary subject matter expert for compensation and short-term incentive program design and delivery. Gather information from key stakeholders, researches, benchmarks, and compile data/analytics.
- Manage the compensation process, including ensuring market competitiveness of salary grids and equity amongst employees, developing the annual total rewards proposal, and managing the annual salary increase and short-term incentive processes.
- Coordinate the Association’s Career Framework and job evaluation process, including responsibility for the master tracking of generic jobs, positions, salary grids and bands; and approving the slotting of positions within the Association’s Career Framework.
- Provide leadership and expertise in managing the company Defined Benefit Pension Plan and benefits programs.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with group benefits, pension, and wellness providers and advisors and work with stakeholders to resolve operational issues. Manage annual renewals and negotiations with benefits carriers and the pension service providers.
- Oversee the effective delivery of pension and benefits services to employees and pensioners and ensure effective monitoring controls are in place.
- Prepare reports and materials for and participate as subject matter expert in meetings of the Human Resources and Compensation and Pension Committees of Council, as required.
- Design and oversee the administration of recognition programs company-wide.
- Design and deliver a wellness strategy and associated campaigns/initiatives to encourage and promote employee health and wellbeing and healthy lifestyles.
- Provide oversight, guidance, and coaching to HR team members performing administration of the employee disability and accommodation programs.
- Determine and implement metrics that assess and monitor the effectiveness of ongoing Total Rewards programs and initiatives.
- Determine annual priorities and plans for areas of responsibility and contribute to the departmental plan and budget and quarterly reporting processes.
- Identify opportunities to develop new techniques and simplify or enhance processes.
- Lead and participate in special projects and cross-functional teams as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Commerce, Human Resources Management, or equivalent
- Ten years of progressive and related experience, three of which in a leadership or supervisory capacity
- Experience providing direction, advice, coaching, and feedback to others
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing comprehensive total rewards strategies and programs
- In depth knowledge and experience in the design and delivery of compensation and short-term incentive plans and programs
- Previous experience in data extraction, compilation, manipulation, and reporting
- Previous experience managing and/or administering defined benefit pension plans and/or benefit plans is a strong asset
- Knowledge of provincial pension legislation and related Income Tax Act rules is a strong asset
- Certified Compensation Professional, Certified Employee Benefits Specialist and/or Certified Human Resources Leader designations are strong assets
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent planning and organization skills, able to effectively coordinate the work of others, and to manage multiple and diverse priorities
- Able to foster an atmosphere of collaboration, continuous improvement, and team development
- Able to understand business needs and work collaboratively with leadership and HR colleagues to provide sound advice and counsel and to develop solutions
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work and communicate effectively at all levels in the organization
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Advanced computer skills: specifically Excel, Word, and database applications, as well as numerical aptitude and strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated discretion, confidentiality, and sound judgment
- Professionally networked within the HR and total rewards community to access experts in the areas of total rewards and wellness
- This position is classified at Level 11 - the salary range is $102,319 to $137,108 annually
- This is a permanent full-time position