Senior Systems Engineer
Position: Senior Systems Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 5+ years relevant work experience
Education: Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
We’re shipping more and more robots and seeing new uses for our products emerge every day! We need an experienced Systems Engineer to help us take our innovative designs from napkin sketches to hundreds of pounds of precisely moving parts and facilitate every step in-between.
You will be responsible for the system design of existing and new industrial self-driving vehicles. This will range through the entire design process from initial concept design and cost forecasting through to detailed design, verification and validation, and final release to production. Design challenges will span from high-level system architecture, integration, programming, and field testing.
You have been around the robot block, and are excited to learn across disciplines and boundaries. Sometimes the solution will lie in workflows, hardware, or software, and it will be in your court to collect information to make and advocate for a recommendation. You have an eye for detail and are knowledgeable in engineering best-practices with many aspects of robot product design (safety, reliability, maintainability, scalability, workflows, etc.). Organization goes a long way to help you meet build and testing timelines. You bring the right message to external parties and earn their trust as a knowledgeable source of information, directing information from the right sources in Clearpath.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- High-level vehicle architecture, behaviour definition, and component design/consultation
- Provide design input based on guidance from ISO 13849, ANSI B56.5, possibly IEC 61508, and others as needed
- Define and interpret system requirements to produce actionable tasks for the team.
- Write or consult on safety risk assessments per ISO 12100
- First-level triage for all prototype vehicle issues (Pulling in rviz and other ROS skills as needed).
- Vehicle performance testing, use-case validation, subsystem verification in real life and in simulation
- Make vehicle demos happen for customers, third parties, sales, Santa Claus
- Write and execute good test plans that make clear and actionable conclusions
- Be a technical representative to the product team to collaboratively define product functionality
- Find and motivate the right Clearpathians to help you meet the team’s goals
- Proactively highlight and remove major sources of technical-risk with prototyping, research, and discussion
- Stay apprised of software developments in the Clearpath stack, and offer input as needed.
- Write internal and externally facing user documentation
- Support prototype build documentation (BOM, sorting out CAD, electrical and mechanical assembly, wiki, git check-ins as needed)
- Familiar with electrical design requirements (ampacity, insulation, etc.) for harness/wiring
- Mechanical/Electrical/Software prototyping and review.
- Design history documentation (requirements definition, meeting minutes, Wiki management, architecture documents, risk assessment, verification and validation activities)
- Sort out logistics for external robot activities
- Be knowledgeable in the robot product lifecycle, and bring-in feedback from all relevant parties
- Sort features into robot-build milestones and be prepared to defend these decisions
- Work with purchasing to make sure parts get here on time for project needs
- Consider all internal and external stakeholders to determine what the vehicle needs to do and why
- Make plans for prototype vehicle-testing and vehicle-build timelines
Additional tasks may include:
- Being a high-quality representative for Clearpath to external partners and customers
- Participate in productive technical planning sessions both internally and with partner/client involvement
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of robotics equipment at customer.
- Manage outsourced assembly of components and subsystems
- Vehicle assembly (Panel layout/design, Wiring harness assembly, Mechanical assembly)
- PLC and other industrial devices programming
- Preparing toolkits and travel-kits for servicing prototype robots
- Packing robots into trucks
- JIRA project task management as needed
- Provide updates on the technical progress of the vehicle/project as a whole
- Occasional travel may be required
- Supporting product management with technical product management tasks
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven and view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- A fast learner with a passion for all technical and non-technical aspects of Clearpath’s robots
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Degree in engineering, computer science, robotics, or a related field with applicable background
- At least some familiarity with all major vehicle components (Computer, drivetrain, brakes, LiDARs, etc.)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and manage deadlines.
- Electrical/Mechanical/Software prototyping and troubleshooting experience
- Familiarity with Linux, ROS, Rviz
- High quality writing and communication skills
- Able to understand and communicate concepts readily via sketches, block diagrams, flow charts, and technical writing
- Past experience participating in development or deployment projects that have gone terribly wrong
- Able to cope with sudden jarring changes in projects, priorities, and the local gravity field.
Bonus points for:
- PLC Programming experience
- Past hands-on experience with mobile robots, industrial trucks, or AGCs as an operator or developer
- Electrical/Mechanical CAD
- Experience working with industrial automation systems
- Familiarity with our robot product lifecycle
- Familiarity with engineering product lifecycle management (PLM) systems.
- Working knowledge of aspects of mobile robotics such as perception, planning, controls, and navigation
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.