CJ Foods | Regulatory Affairs Associate Specialist
Who We Are
CheilJedang (CJ) was founded in 1953 specializing in food products. Since then it has grown into a global lifestyle brand with a business portfolio built around the four sectors - Food & Food Service, Bio & Pharma, Entertainment & Media, and Shopping & Logistics. With over 55,000 employees around the world, CJ Group promotes healthier, happier and convenient living through its many products and services. For more information, please visit www.cjamerica.com.
- This position, under direct supervision, is responsible for leading regulatory affairs projects and teams as assigned. The incumbent works under the guidance of project leaders to complete specifications, develop required labeling features and labeling documentation, proof graphics, obtain government approvals, for new products, product enhancement, and cost reduction products to meet project parameters and business unit strategies.
- This job may participate in one or more of the following duties as directed by supervision or management.
- Generate and approve food label information including ingredient declarations, allergens, nutrition facts panels, and claims to assure compliance with both USDA and FDA labeling.
- Work cooperatively with Food Scientists, Marketing, Business Unit Project Leaders, Manufacturing, and FSQ departments to provide packaging graphics content that meets the needs of all business units.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and understanding of USDA and FDA regulations relating to labeling of products for channels including retail, food service, industrial sales, and home service.
- Responsible for the development of product name, weight statement, ingredient statement, allergen declaration, descriptions, nutrition facts panel and claims compliant with government requirements and standard of identities. This includes ensuring compliance with all label related health and wellness claims.
- Prepare and submit all required label approval documents.
- Collaborates to identify and provide resolution to strategic and tactical regulatory issues pertaining to food labeling.
- Documents various work according to established procedures and guidelines, provides timely and effective oral and written communication and prepares reports to project team to ensure complete communication of project status, progress, issues, solutions, timeline, and accountability.
- Supports innovation by joining in the development of new ideas, new products or new product platforms.
- Responsible to conduct yourself and ensure your subordinates (if applicable) conduct themselves in a manner consistent with company mission, values, code of ethics, policies, and other standards of conduct.
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree (U.S. or foreign) or equivalent in Food Science, Dairy Science, Foods & Nutrition Studies, Biological Sciences, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and/or regulatory affairs experience.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: effective communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal). Able to proofread and check documentation for accuracy and completeness. PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Word. Basic knowledge of Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics. Basic knowledge and understanding of food ingredients, food chemistry, food processing, and food functionality. Must be able to comprehend and communicate technical articles, research papers, or presentations. Must be able to apply technical knowledge learned. Basic ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and offer solutions; ability to taste and ingest any type of food product currently under development. Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Experience with SAP/Product Life Cycle Management, Genesis, BLUE!, and knowledge of FDA and/or USDA regulations preferred.