Custom Bag Maker, Full Time
Job Title: Custom Bag Maker
Date: August 2019
Reports to: Store Manager
Department: Chrome Retail – Portland
Status: Full-time, Hourly
Direct Reports: N/A
Since 1995 Chrome Industries has been making useful durable products for people who ride, work and live in the city. Rooted in urban bike culture, we’re committed to building bags, apparel and footwear that survive the demanding urban conditions. Our headquarters is located in Portland, Oregon, and we have retail shops in San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, and New York. We offer a creative team oriented work culture with deep connections to the cities in which we live.
General Job Summary
The Custom Bag Maker is responsible for producing custom Chrome bags, in shop, while delivering a best-in-class brand and customer experience. Key responsibilities will include the sewing and construction / repair of Chrome bags in shop, upkeep of custom area and industrial sewing machines, bringing fresh new ideas to improving the custom experience, supporting inventory management of the custom area, and an understanding of a detailed POS system. In addition, Custom Bag Makers are involved in community outreach, local guerrilla marketing, pre-release product testing and development, and throwing legendary parties at the Chrome HUB.
The Custom Bag Maker is responsible for:
- Constructing Chrome Bags.
- Completing minor repairs of Chrome Bags.
- Keeping the custom area merchandised, well organized, stocked and clean.
- Performing industrial equipment maintenance tasks such as replacing needles and cleaning and oiling sewing machines.
- Providing input on key company initiatives, including product development and testing.
- Helping to organize and run local community events, marketing efforts and HUB parties.
- Reaching and exceeding daily sales goals.
The ideal Custom Bag Maker will have the following skills and knowledge:
- 2+ years sewing experience with industrial sewing machines
- Thorough knowledge of fabric, linings and cutting patterns
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to find innovative ways to drive the business
- Knowledge of cycling industry and culture
- Knowledge of retail processes and procedures
- Strong understanding of the Chrome brand
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of personal accountability
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs
- Ability to be standing for prolonged periods of time
Employee Conduct: It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through: mutual trust and respect; personal accountability and integrity; desire for growth and learning opportunities; teamwork; positive, honest and effective communication and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and partners.
Chrome is an equal opportunity employer, who values an inclusive and diverse community. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status or disability.