Product Line Director
Job Title: Product Line Director
Date: April 2019
Reports to: President
Status: Salaried, full-time
Direct Reports: TBD
As the Product Line Director for the Chrome, you will be responsible for defining and executing the global cross-functional vision, strategies and seasonal concepts in line with Chrome’s corporate long-term strategic business plan and vision. You will lead across all product categories including bags, apparel, and footwear; and will be responsible for business and brand results. You will passionately, collaboratively & profitably manage a global team to carry out the Go-To-Market vision.
You will define the consumer and market opportunities and integrate channel, assortment, segmentation, competitor, product trend and lifecycle analysis and sales data to drive your global vision. You will develop seasonal initiatives and plans that achieve category goals including revenue/margin targets. You will directly and/or indirectly manage a cross-functional team of Product Management, Design, Project Management, Marketing, Operations and Sales. You will work alongside Innovation, Sourcing & Manufacturing and Finance to bring the vision to life.
You will most closely work with the President and Product Design Director to provide clear direction on consumer insights, product line plans, product lifecycle targets and profitability goals. It is your responsibility to meet key dates all along the Go-To-Market calendar.
The ideal candidate must be consumer-centric, understand the urban outdoor marketplace, possess the skills to manage across functions, be analytical and maintain a sense of hybrid performance/style to create innovative offerings. This person must rely on these traits and capabilities to make fiscally sound recommendations and to guide a team toward professional growth and success.
- Translate Long Range Strategic business goals into tactical plans to achieve category growth and profitability targets (complete P&L responsibility for the category per LRP)
- Work with the President to develop short and long-term strategic plans that support the Chrome’s strategic plan. Work cross-functionally throughout the seasonal product process to bring a cohesive, cross-merchandised, fan-focused line with compelling stories each season. Work with sales management in each region and channel to develop a distinctive distribution strategy for each category
- Develop, drive and continuously refine a long-term, global strategic vision and plan for Bags, Apparel, and Footwear that is in line with Chrome’s corporate long-term strategic business plan and vision.
- Lead directly or indirectly a global cross-functional team that will drive the product plan. Direct team includes: Product Management, Design, Project Management, Marketing and Sales. Indirect team includes: Finance, Operations, Development, Sourcing & Manufacturing
- Conduct market research and analyzes consumer trends to identify brand opportunities and define business targets. Develops line plan from these insights
- Deliver a thoughtful seasonal global and regional analysis to inform the global briefing process, synthesizing the findings and inputs including but not limited to: product performance, assortment performance by channel/tier/key account/DTC, competitor analysis, trend reports, fan insights, market research data, retail visits, brand strength, trade publications and analysts, and the Chrome leadership team
- Plan and lead the briefing of innovative, commercial and brand-enhancing global product lines designed for global and regional Chrome fans that deliver revenue, MSRP, margin, profitability, and productivity targets and other metrics as required
- Provide guidance for color/material, construction, lifecycle targets, and channel segmentation. Support regional fan and channel needs with specific inline and regionally-driven styles as required by the business (SMU’s, limited editions, collaborations, exclusive product, etc.)
- Deliver continuous improvement on style/sku efficiency, margins, regional alignment and other key metrics as required. Is responsible for overall financial profitability & health of Bags, Apparel, and Footwear Categories
- Provide clear and effective cross-functional communication around the product line at key calendar checkpoints, meetings and product presentations as required (oral and written)
- Manage the successful sell-in and sell-through of the seasonal product line via close collaboration, communication and product data accuracy with design, development, commercialization, merchandising, marketing, DTC, planning, value chain and sales throughout the GTM process to deliver against seasonal targets
- Manage the global product creation and sell-in strategies with the necessary administrative tools, including but not limited to: product briefs, visual line plans, product descriptions, fan insights, tech sheets, packaging direction, product training information and other tools as needed
- Help define key long-term & seasonal Marketing messages supporting Product initiatives. Work with others to assure common and brand-right messaging
- Be the voice & face of Chrome Product: Product evangelist, Sales meeting lead, key account expert, and Marketing/PR contact.
- Serve as point of contact for all Product activities or inquiries – internal & external
Key Behaviors for Success in the Role:
- Ability to work effectively and deliver results in a lean, entrepreneurial and global environment. Player/coach
- Direct and transparent approach to communication
- Ability to remain calm and focused in complex & ambiguous environments
- Passion and tenacity for solving problems through creativity, collaboration and fact-based resourcefulness
- Ability to deliver the art and science of business (creative and analytical)
- Passionate & compassionate leader with the ability to influence people in support of overarching business and category goals in a matrix environment
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty by creating structure and effective prioritization
- Results orientation that is balanced between both long-term objectives and short-run performance
- Possess an inherent interest in and sense for the Urban Outdoors.
- High energy, strong initiative, decisive, responsible and confident
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive global experience in business management or product creation/merchandising; bag experience as a team or department lead preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or related field preferred
- A thorough understanding of global consumer markets and trends
- Experience with Urban Outdoor Category performance and product preferred
- Proven leadership and people/process management skills
- Proven increased management accountability
- Strong business orientation, analytical aptitude, computer skills, and acumen for “retail math”
- Full understanding of the product creation process and ability to collaborate and work within the seasonal calendars
- Understanding of US and global markets with proven success in global range planning and forecasting
- Clear understanding of the significance of pricing and its impact on profitability
- Creativity and passion for product and seeing it successfully to market
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the proven ability to collaborate on a new product line through innovation, identifying market opportunities, and inspiring through passionate story telling
- Understanding of the millennial consumer and the Urban Outdoors preferred
- Strong understanding of competition.
- Demonstrates ability to independently utilize resources to increase knowledge
- Demonstrated experience and success with strategic planning and business planning
- Proven ability to successfully work in a lean, entrepreneurial, highly cross-functional matrix environment
- Strong organizational, analytical and time management skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office/GSuite applications (Outlook, Excel. Power Point, Word)
- Ability to travel a minimum of 35% of the year and up to 2 weeks at a time
- Ability to assist in trade show booth and sales meeting set up, including lifting up to 50 pounds
Employee Conduct: It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through: teamwork, positive, honest and effective communication, and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and partners.
Chrome Industries is an equal opportunity employer, who values an inclusive and diverse community. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status or disability.