Studio Production Director
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As Studio Production Director, you will serve as an advocate for, and manager/mentor of, Certain Affinity’s production staff made up of various levels of Producers in our Austin and Toronto studios. You will provide a project-agnostic voice for the production team to the company’s executive leaders, advocating for the team’s needs and serving as a conduit between the team and other departments. You will help members of the production team at every level with skills development, career guidance, and team growth by finding and mentoring new members.
You will work with executive leadership and other department directors to help foster the studio process and develop resource allocation plans to ensure all project needs are met. Ultimately, you will play an essential role in helping an exceptionally talented and professional group of producer transitions from co-developer to lead developer and IP creator behind successful live service products.
Come make great games with us!
Role and Responsibilities
- Identify and recruit Producers for the production department at all levels across the Austin and Toronto studios
- Institute a framework for coaching, mentoring, and education for continued skills development within the production department
- Create and foster a healthy production process across studios and projects, working with producers and department directors to determine the right project management techniques to work within Certain Affinity’s unique culture
- Guide resource allocation throughout the studio by determining project needs and working with producers, business unit leaders, and department directors to ensure all projects are staffed appropriately
- Partner with the business development staff to determine the needs of potential opportunities, and how those needs would impact the current resource allocation plan
- Drive identification, trial, and adoption of new production tools and techniques that improve efficiency and communication
- Work with producers and department directors to build a change process where needed to fit a live service orientation
- Develop career ladders and other growth resources for all disciplines within the department
- Ensure Producers are helping each other and collaborating across projects
- Help Certain Affinity transition from a culture focused on co-development to one focused on the development and success of its Live Service products
- Partner with department leads across all projects, providing support as they manage their teams and solving issues as a collaborative, well-aligned production management team
- Promote the company externally, with emphasis on the talent and accomplishments of its producers
- Backfill as a Production Lead when necessary
- 10+ years overall production experience and 5+ years running a production team that has shipped multiple AAA console and PC titles
- Successful deployment of at least one live-service game
- In-depth knowledge of game development – team dynamics, common development hurdles, game engines and technology, development milestone definitions, production process and methodology, outsourcing and co-development scheduling
- Project management software skills using Jira or other project management software
- Experience building high functioning, quality-driven teams
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-directed, and capable of instilling that characteristic in others
- Excellent verbal and written communication, multitasking, and scheduling skills
- Strong time management skills with the ability to multitask across disciplines, assess risk, define priorities, and resolve problems while meeting deadlines
- A diplomatic leader able to have crucial, and at times sensitive, conversations
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- An inspirational leader who can “rally the troops” and seize opportunities through improved communication and organization
- Experience working, partnering and fostering productive relationships with established brands and IP holders
- Previous experience as a Development Director, Lead Producer, or Executive Producer
- Experience with UE4
- Avid gamer on multiple platforms
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.