Lead Game Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity is an exclusive, independent Austin developer comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Lead Game Designer with extensive experience in the PC, and console game spaces. As the Lead Game Designer, you are responsible for directing, managing, and providing detailed feedback on game design features and content. Leading a team of designers, you are responsible for ensuring consistency, quality, and direction for the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty at times by stepping in to design and implement systems or features when the need arises. This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest game design team in the industry, and then help us reach new heights helping to lead new and exciting projects.
- Collaborate with the Game Director and other leads to cement the vision for new games and to extend existing games
- Drive implementation of all design-focused tools, game interface, and gameplay and monetization features
- Lead, mentor, and motivate internal and external designers
- Help vet potential development partners and oversee the design work of external partners and contractors
- Contribute hands-on to development in a wide range of areas (e.g., gameplay systems design, UI design)
- Lead the post-release support for Games as a Service titles, including on-going content development
- 6+ years of game design experience, 2 or more on First- or Third-Person Shooter games; worked on at least one First- or Third- Person Shooter game as a senior or lead designer
- Demonstrable experience leading a design team in creating highly accessible experiences with deep, engaging core mechanics
- Proven ability to create innovative new designs and to enhance existing ones
- Experience designing games with micro-transactions and/or experience working on free-to-play games.
- Solid understanding of user interface design and information architecture.
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint.
- Proven capability to manage and challenge a team of designers to create only the highest quality content.
- Passion for multiplayer games and Games as a Service in all its forms, and comprehensive knowledge of games on all platforms.
- Experience interfacing with and representing company to external development partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Remarkable ability to multi-task and adapt easily to change.
- Highly self-motivated and entirely self-managed.
- Mobile game design experience
- Experience supporting live titles after launch, including additional content creation and community management
- Experience working on games across multiple platforms including consoles, PC, and/or mobile
- Experience as a designer working in various genres
- Data analytics experience
- Scripting and/or programming experience
- Experience working in Unreal Engine 4
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience
Certain Affinity offers relocation for this position to Austin, Texas where we make it all happen.