Senior Narrative Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Sr. Narrative Designer at Certain Affinity, you will be responsible for driving in-game narrative efforts, on a large scale free to play game. As a key member of the project’s design team, you will work closely with the Lead Mission Designer and the Narrative Director to develop a strong symbiotic relationship between the game’s design and supporting narrative elements.
If you have deep experience at narrative storytelling, are eager to have an impact, motivated to support the needs of both development teams and external partners, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Work closely with a diverse group of art and design disciplines to deliver a cohesive narrative experience across the entire game
- Assist in copywriting, editing dialogue, and policing character and tone for consistency
- Work on original and licensed properties, coordinating with teams and licensors to ensure brand consistency and presentation that reflects the licensors’ needs
- Educate voice actors on gameplay goals/needs during recording sessions
- Establish appropriate story context for current and future gameplay mechanics
- Assist the Lead Missions Designer in reviewing builds and providing weekly feedback to the project leads and development team
- Collaborate with cinematic and audio teams to create and maintain consistent narrative execution for projects
- Generate and maintain design documents for all narrative elements on your projects
- Assist in generating and maintaining detailed project Voice Over scripts and gathering needed materials for the Audio Director and team
- Work with Cinematic Director to create and maintain detailed storyboards for in-game and standalone cinematics
- Shipped at least one AAA PC or console titles in a Narrative Designer role
- Proven ability to craft and communicate clear and coherent storytelling in games
- Experience implementing narrative systems in Blueprint or similar scripting language
- Strong understanding of visual theory, storytelling, plot, structure, and character
- Exceptional knowledge and passion for the history and theories governing interactive storytelling, including how the story is used to support game mechanics and enhance the overall player experience
- Experience working with voice actors in a recording studio environment
- Strong understanding of basic game design fundamentals and principles
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills and methodology
- Ability to work with available art/programming resources under aggressive deadlines
- Able to present a clear narrative concept flow using Visio, Excel, PPT, or other related tools
- Thrives in a highly iterative, highly collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Theatre, Film or related field
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and well-organized, with strong multitasking skills; able to juggle multiple projects and management all at once
- Passionate about gaming and the film and entertainment industry as a whole, possessing expert knowledge of narrative design and implementation in games and proficient in the fundamentals of game design
- Experience directing voice actors
- Experience in FPS and/or 3rd person action-adventure game development
- Experience developing for Xbox One or PS4
- Experience with narrative and cinematic systems and tools in existing commercial or proprietary game technologies (Unreal 4, Source, etc.)
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.