Contract VFX Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Contract VFX Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll be responsible for creating a wide variety of both realistic and stylized real-time effects for AAA console titles.
- Work with the VFX Team, Environment Teams, Concept Artists, Technical Artists, Designers, Producers, and Art Leads to plan, prioritize, create and implement visual effects for in-game environments, vehicles, weapons, equipment, and character abilities
- Create particle, geometry and material effects to be used in Unreal engine
- Learn new techniques and creative approaches
- Provide examples of VFX running in a real-time engine
- Technical understanding of real-time particle and mesh emitter systems
- Knowledge of real-time engines, proprietary effects tools, and editors
- Understanding of weight, motion, and timing
- Foundation in traditional arts, including but not limited to graphic design or illustration, life drawing, environmental and/or architectural illustration, or similar.
- Knowledge of Maya, 3ds Max and/or other 3D software packages
- Knowledge of Photoshop, After Effects or similar image editing and motion graphic software
- Must be punctual, diligent, articulate, and organized
- Ability to manage time constraints and prioritize tasks
- Must have a strong self-motivated work ethic
- Can effectively collaborate with all disciplines - game designers, producers, programmers, and artists
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Willing to learn new tools, workflows, and pipelines
- Experience with animation
- Basic scripting knowledge
- Experience with Fume FX, Thinking Particles, Houdini, etc.
- Experience with lighting, materials, and rendering in standard 3d programs
- UE4 Experience
This is a non-exempt position that will be paid by a 3rd party vendor.
This role is based in Austin, TX.
The contractor will be responsible for housing costs and relocation if needed