Senior Systems Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas and opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. Our Toronto studio will collaborate with our Austin location, and together we’ll be co-developing AAA FPS games and creating our own compelling new IP.Certain Affinity is seeking a Senior Systems Designer with extensive experience designing and implementing gameplay systems for both single and multiplayer games.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry, then help us reach new heights by increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for years to come. Who doesn't want to work on AAA games and get the opportunity to also work on original IPs?
- Work closely with the Creative Director and Lead Designer to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player mechanics, game mechanics, game modes, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to iterate, balance, and adjust gameplay elements such as combat mechanics, player and NPC abilities, collectibles, and player progression to create a fun and balanced experience for all types of players
- Create design documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and vision of the system for the client, from internal developers to marketing and external developers
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the existing game experience
- 5+ years of game design experience, including 3+ with systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer.
- Proven ability to create innovative gameplay systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs
- Proficient with various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience documenting technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple consoles, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.