Senior Environment Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Senior Environment Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll lead a small team of environment artists in creating highly detailed game environments and world assets. You’ll have opportunities to set the quality bar for our internal team by creating and visually perfecting an environment by fine-tuning all elements, including skybox, set dressing, materials, composition, and lighting.
- Work with Art Director and other artists to build and integrate 3D assets, lighting, materials, decorators, and skybox elements into a visually consistent and highly immersive world
- Lead/direct activities and implementation of environment art assets
- Mentor other artists on technique and process
- Portfolio showing off your work
- Personally, create a significant portion of the world including modeling, texturing, terrain, decorators and set dressing these assets in a cohesive way
- 4+ years’ experience in the game industry, specifically modeling and texturing environments
- Experience using UE4 and proprietary software and tools
- Experience establishing and driving new workflows for content creation
- Shipped 2+ titles as an environment artist
- Experience mentoring other artists
- Expert-level knowledge of MAX and/or Maya, or other 3D software packages
- Knowledge of material creation software such as Substance Designer and Substance Painter
- Knowledge of PBR material pipeline
- Proficient with Z-Brush or other high-resolution sculpting tools
- Solid grasp of performance requirements and constraints of current-generation console and PC development
- Excellent understanding of art pipelines and workflow
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills to bridge the gap between art, design, and tech.
- Ability to work within a style and effectively communicate to the rest of the team
- Strong foundation knowledge in traditional arts, including but not limited to graphic design or illustration, life drawing, environmental and/or architectural illustration or similar.
- Solid understanding of color theory, and be able to create balanced & appealing color palettes through lighting, texturing and material work
- Demonstrated grasp of scale, proportion lighting, and form
- Solid understanding of the aesthetics of environment, function vs. form relationships and how this can enhance gameplay
- Team player with the drive and initiative to deliver extremely high-quality work within performance and time restrictions.
- Must be punctual, diligent, articulate, and organized
- Easily manages time constraints and multiple priorities
- Can initiate visual direction without a specific concept or design
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Experience managing, scheduling, critiquing work for multiple artists
- Shipped 1+ AAA title in last 3 years