The Position: Under the administrative supervision of the Site Managers and the technical instruction of the Rehabilitation Coordinator, The Physical Therapist provides restorative and rehabilitative services in accordance with the physician’s written authorization and in conjunction with the total plan of care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the physician and the multi-disciplinary team in evaluating agency participants by applying muscle, nerve, joint and functional ability tests.
- Assist the multidisplinary team in developing and carrying out a plan of care to maximize participants’ ability to be independent balanced against their ability to be safe.
- Provides assistance to achieve and maintain maximum performance using physical means such as exercise, massage, heat, sound, water, light or electricity.
- Provides active and passive exercises, muscle re-education and gait and functional training activities of daily living including transfer activities and prosthetic training.
- Instruct participants and caregivers in the care and use of wheelchairs, braces, crutches, canes, and prosthetic and orthotic devices.
- Instructs multi-disciplinary team and family on participant’s total physical therapy program and phases of physical therapy with which they may work with patient.
- When appropriate, and with written physician’s authorization and /or team advise, treats participants to relieve pain, develop or restore function and maintain maximum performance, using physical means, such as exercise, for example.
- Makes initial assessment and re-evaluations of all participants ( not just those receiving PT ) at least every six (6) months
- Completes quarterly progress notes or full-re-evaluations every 6 months.
- Reviews and initials all evaluations and the discharge summaries.
- Observes; records and reports regularly to the multi-disciplinary team on participant’s reaction to physical therapy program and any changes in the participant’s condition.
- Instructs, supervises and evaluates therapy program aides in the implementation of the participant’s individualized rehab plan of care.
- Provides in services training to other members of the health team.
- Attends daily multi-disciplinary team conference and actively participates in the development of the plan of care.
- Evaluates the home environments and makes appropriate recommendations as needed.
- Attendance and active participation in meetings as appropriate such as multidisciplinary resources group, site staff meetings, site coordination’s meetings, team meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- Initial and periodic assessments
- Communication of participant changes to team members
- Plan of care
- Coordination for 24-hour care delivery
- Documentation in the medical record
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree and a graduate of a school of physical therapy approved by one of the following associations, American Physical Therapy Association, the Committee on Allied Health Education and accreditation of the American Medical Association, The Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association in the American Physical Therapy Association
- Currently licensed as a Registered Physical Therapist by the California Board of Medical Examiners.
- At least one (1) year’s experience working as a Registered Physical Therapist with the frail elderly population, in an acute general hospital or acute rehab setting under the supervision of an experienced Physical Therapist.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification on file.
Founded in 1992, Center for Elders’ Independence has earned the reputation as the one of the premier safety net organizations and community resources for seniors and healthcare in the East Bay. CEI's interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation provides high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly.
This is what our employees say about working at CEI:
“The integrated team work at CEI is wonderful.”
“I’m thrilled to be working alongside such a dedicated, creative and experienced group of therapists. CEI is a unique environment to work in and I like being a part of a team that promotes independence and engagement in the home and community.”