We are looking for someone who’s driven, self-motivated and has a passion for industry-leading data management practices. Sound like you? If so, you may be our next Data Engineer!
Every day, Canadians rely on our insights to make one of the biggest decisions of their lives. As the country’s #1 provider of automotive history and valuation insights, we’re always innovating to make buying and selling used vehicles easier for all Canadians.
At CARFAX Canada, you’re not just another employee. You’re a critical contributor to the big picture and rely on data when making important decisions. You have a future mindset and are motivated to grow with us. You have a thirst for learning new things and building your skillset. You dream big and chart your own career path. You don’t settle for what’s quick and easy because you value quality. You know that the best teams are built on trust, so you use your voice to collaborate and create real change. You believe in taking the time to celebrate wins and have fun. You know leading a balanced lifestyle in a supportive work environment is important. You’re not just another employee. You are a CARFAX Canadian!
Reporting to the Director, Data Management, the Data Engineer will encompass development and deployment of data structures supporting both operational databases and data warehousing. As a Data Engineer, you will work closely with the senior engineer and data architect to contribute to the design and implement data structures to facilitate the loading, transforming, and availability of data for analysis and product development. You will also support operational teams in maintaining and resolving data inconsistencies and compliance issues. This role will also work closely within the Data Management team to deliver on the Data Management roadmap and strategic business goals, while working with other key business units to assist in achieve overall business objectives.
- Contribute to the design, configuration, and maintenance of business reporting systems and data warehouses that help the company manage its operational, financial, and planning data
- Develop and deliver on strategic goals for information architecture vision and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients and other key stakeholders
- Evaluate, recommend and select data warehouse components, including hardware, database management systems, ETL (extract, transform, load) software, data mining tools and meta data management tools
- Key tasks will include Data Warehouse development, data modelling, implementation, and on-going maintenance of Data Architecture designs
- Provide implementation, maintenance and support for the data assets of the company
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, database administration or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience in business analytics/intelligence and data warehousing/modelling
- ETL design and implementation experience
- Experience with Pentaho/Kettle ETL technology is a strong asset
- Proven experience working with cloud storage (AWS, Azure, Soft Layer)
- Proficiency with MS Office 365
- Strong analytical and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Structured Query Language (SQL), Microsoft SQL and associated services (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS)
- Ability to compare technologies and make recommendations
- Big data technology and REST/SOAP web service knowledge are considered assets (NoSQL, MongoDB, HDFS etc.)
CARFAX Canada is headquartered in London, Ontario, and now has an office in Waterloo as well to support our growth. We’re proud to offer competitive pay, benefits and bonuses, RRSP matching, maternity leave top-up, health and wellness initiatives and social events. We’re committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation during the application or selection processes, please advise in your cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until August 13, 2019.
Not exactly the position you were looking for, but still want to join our awesome team? Visit our careers page to learn more about us and to see our other job openings!