PR and Corporate Communications Lead
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of exciting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 800 people serving customers all around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a proven technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
Tucows is looking for a PR and Corporate Communications leader with the vision to build a practice first as an individual contributor then as a department builder. You’ll work with key partners to build a PR foundation at Tucows for the company at large and the B2C and B2B brands it comprises (Ting Mobile, Ting Internet, wholesale domain names, retail domain names and related services).
What you’ll be doing/key opportunities:
- Lay the foundations for a PR practice that will grow and work at scale
- Identify, plan for, execute and report key quarterly strategic PR objectives using an Objectives and Key Results (OKR) framework.
- Build and maintain a media contact database
- Identify and establish relationships with key media
- Build and codify the PR strategies for Tucows and its key brands and business lines.
- Identify, supervise and report on key PR metrics.
- Build the PR outreach playbook and strategy.
- Identify, advocate for and implement the tools required for a modern, successful internal PR practice.
- Identify and hire key positions to establish the team and scale the practice.
- Build and support a media training practice for key executives and spokespeople... and possibly act as a spokesperson yourself
- Work with partners to identify thought leadership opportunities including contributed content and speaking engagements on topics of strategic, community and philanthropic importance.
- Build crisis media communications plans for Tucows and key brands.
A bit about you:
As the ideal candidate, you are a PR leader and partner with the vision to build PR at Tucows and the drive to get things done. You'll start out as equal parts department head and individual contributor, building the playbook, practice and strategies for success before establishing the team to execute at scale.
- Evangelize and demonstrate the efficacy of a smart PR strategy internally.
- Help the organization to see and understand what works and what doesn't in PR.
- Guide us as you do more of the former and less of the latter.
- Build fruitful relationships and partnerships with key media across brands and verticals
- You'll identify and implement efficiencies in our existing, largely ad-hoc corporate communications practices.
- You'll help us bring more intentionality to same.
- Post-secondary education in PR, corporate communications, journalism or related fields
- Proven experience in progressively senior PR and communications roles
- Management and project management experience
- Excellent communication skills. Obviously.
- Excellent judgment, problem-solving, social and interpersonal skills
- A digital-first approach
Nice to have
- A list of relevant media contacts
We believe diversity drives innovation. Tucows is committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.