Community Engagement Assistant
The Community Engagement Assistant is a full-time non-exempt position that is perfect for those who enjoy planning and preparing for large public events and helping diverse communities of people come together to enjoy the outdoors and foster a greater investment in the protection of Silicon Valley’s open spaces.
This person supports POST’s Senior Manager of Community Engagement to plan and execute community engagement events that are both POST-organized and externally organized/sponsored events. Volunteer program communications, metrics tracking, and training are key components of this position. The Community Engagement Assistant also provides coordination support for POST’s land volunteer programs. Activities in this position are split between pre and post-event work and working the events.
The Community Engagement Assistant reports in a dotted line fashion to POST’s Conservation Easement Project Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB
- Participate in planning and executing our annual community event program by coordinating with potential venues, presenters and partners.
- Participate in planning and executing our annual Wallace Stegner Lecture series.
- Provide pre-event support for all community engagement events including:
- Setting up event signup pages and publishing event details on our website
- Working with our Digital Marketing Manager to coordinate public promotion of events
- Ensuring all calendar and planning progress is up to date in our planning tool - Smartsheet
- Use POST’s email marketing system to clearly and reliably communicate event details with attendees before events
- Address individual guest concerns as they come up including during our Wallace Stegner Lectures.
- Produce pre-event checklists and timelines and communicate with the event team including volunteers and POST staff.
- Gather and stage event supplies and materials
- Post-event support includes but is not limited to:
- Uploading event specific information into our Salesforce database
- Carefully track all new and existing accounts that result by event for further analysis
- Manage post event communications and follow-up emails including event surveys where applicable.
- Upload and tag photos that result from events into our digital asset management system
- Frequent staffing of evening and weekend events is required, and as such, this position has a dynamic schedule that may change seasonally. This position requires flexible hours so as not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Volunteer Management activities include:
- Support the Senior Manager of Community Engagement and the Conservation Easement Project Manager in defining, managing, and executing the core functions of our volunteer program including onboarding, trainings, team building and recognition events.
- Update POST policies and trainings as needed for specific sub segments of our volunteer corps such as Stewardship, Conservation Easements, Adopt a Highway, POST Ambassadors and Trail Patrol Teams
- Act as the key point of contact for potential and new volunteers including responding to inquiries, screening applicants, responding to ad hoc questions and the like
- Manage the volunteer event sign-up platform to ensure correct event details are available, track signups and ensure that our volunteer needs are filled before each event
- Manage volunteer data in our database including volunteer hours, projects, etc. and further develop this system with our Salesforce Administrator
- Manage and regularly execute all volunteer communications including weekly emails and quarterly communications
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- A strong passion for POST’s mission
- Strong knowledge of office systems such as Google calendar, Microsoft office and other document and spreadsheet programs
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills are a must
- Candidates must enjoy and thrive on a lot of personal interactions with a wide variety of passionate people
- 1-2 years of event planning experience is preferred
- An understanding of Facebook and Instagram platforms
- Some experience with cloud based tools such as CRMs, Content management systems (wordpress or other) is preferred
- A working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is preferred
- Excellent attention to detail, organization and project management abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work independently and within a team and communicate clearly and often with extended project teams
- Capacity to perform well in a deadline driven, dynamic environment
- A consistently calm, collected, positive and personal attitude when managing events
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills
- Two year Associates degree preferred
- Valid California driver’s license
- Employee is required to speak and hear.
- Employee is required to hike over rough terrain.
- Employee is required to lift 20 lbs.
- Employee must be able to drive.