Counsel, Business Affairs and Distribution
The Pac-12 Networks seeks a Counsel, Distribution & Business Affairs to support the Company’s broadcast distribution divisions. This role will report to the General Counsel and Senior Vice President of Business Affairs and together work to oversee management and strategy for distribution agreements and other business activities related to content distribution. These agreements include cable, satellite, broadband, licensing and other distribution and content-related agreements. This position can be located in San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA.
- Develop and analyze strategic plans for Pac-12 Networks evolution and growth domestically and internationally.
- Manage business transactions and legal affairs with MSO’s (including MFN’s, audits, givebacks, etc.).
- Help maintain a positive and proactive business relationship with all distribution partners.
- Work with internal and external legal counsel to manage and execute agreements and assure the Pac-12 Networks are in compliance with existing distribution agreements.
- Vet creative summaries, business strategies, and pitches for legal and business risk.
- Provide advice to internal production and programming divisions on development- and production-related matters and legal analysis.
- Work with internal music & media licensing and digital divisions in connection with legal concerns that may arise with respect to programming and distribution.
- Perform other day-to-day legal and business affairs-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum 4 years of experience advising media and entertainment companies in connection with distribution agreements, licensing arrangements, and strategic partnerships across a variety of platforms (including cable, satellite, mobile, “over the top”).
- JD required.
- Expertise in linear and digital content distribution (cable, satellite, broadband, etc.).
- Strong background/understanding of live broadcasts and the value domestically and internationally.
- Experience in managing audits by MSO’s, most favored nation certifications and various business transactions with distribution partners.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to analyze fact patterns and devise creative solutions that allow executives to execute their creative vision while minimizing overall legal and business risk.
- Solution-oriented, sound judgment, outstanding interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Cooperative, team-oriented approach.
- Ability to interface proactively with internal stakeholders to provide guidance and make strategic recommendations in-line with overall business goals.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects smoothly and efficiently.
- Proactively builds relationships with internal stakeholders, distribution partners, and other entertainment professionals.