Audience Insights Lead
Oxfam America Job Description
Title: Audience Insights Lead
Department:VP Public Engagement
Division: Public Engagement (PE)
Reports to: Vice President, Public Engagement
Coordinates with: Vice President, Public Engagement (PE), PE Directors, PE Managers and staff, Policy & Campaigns Leads, Resource Development Campaign Leads, Data Analysts, Research Director
Purpose of Position:
At Oxfam America, we are evolving our approach to public engagement to become more audience driven. By understanding what motivates different people to support Oxfam, we hope to deliver the right content, through the right mediums at the right time to give our supporters a great experience while helping to reach Oxfam America’s public engagement, fundraising and advocacy goals. The Audience Insights Lead is a new position that will identify the data gaps and opportunities and lay the market research groundwork for the agency. Oxfam’s Public Engagement Team seeks to develop an organization wide shared understanding of the attitudes, behaviors, values, and interests of both current and future supporters. We aim to better socialize and interpret existing research and develop custom quantitative and qualitative research to guide future marketing strategy. The Audience Insights Lead will be a key contributor to the Audience Segmentation Strategy and will champion new ways of understanding current and future supporters and how Oxfam can best connect with them.
The Audience Insights Lead will blend market research and insight with analytics to help achieve public engagement, advocacy and fundraising goals.
- Audit the market research landscape at Oxfam to better utilize existing audience research and data.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders – in public engagement, fundraising, and advocacy, to understand campaign objectives that will inform both quantitative and qualitative research development, deployment, and analysis.
- Leveraging existing research budgets, lead the development and execution of new consumer research, to inform new campaign launches and ongoing annual campaigns.
- Analyze and interpret all our sources of audience data to ensure the most relevant insights are brought to life for our teams and decision makers.
- Act as interpreter of data, drawing out key insights that will inform public messaging priorities.
- Drive actionable recommendations about the future of our individual supporter base.
- Own the Oxfam Propensity Model, developed in 2019, to market size US potential supporters and inform the Audience Segmentation Strategy.
- Partner with the Global Brand Lead, to refine an Audience Segmentation Strategy that will help evolve the Public Engagement model to a more ‘audience first’ or audience-centric model.
- Collaborate with the VP of Public Engagement to support strategic research initiatives and foster an audience-first mentality.
General Expectations for the Position:
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
Specific Expectations for the Position:
- The ideal candidate will have experience in guiding the development and execution of strategic consumer research that identifies meaningful insights and guides strategy and decision making.
- Work should be fact-based rather than fact-filled, focusing on recommendations and outcomes.
- Ability to travel for trip to Washington, DC annually and one trip to Oxford, UK annually.
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in data science or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- 5-7 or more years of experience in market research using data, analysis, and visualization to help organizations achieve their goals
- Experience interpreting predictive and performance analytics to draw out relevant and actionable insights
- Adept at presenting complex concepts in an easy to understand and actionable way to a range of audiences – most of whom are not data science experts
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding project management skills
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders at many levels of the organization
- Passion for understanding supporter behavior and trends, while keeping current on best practice in the field of consumer insights
- Curiosity and drive for developing and integrating Audience Insight as a function within the organization
- Experience with multivariate regression analysis and propensity modeling
- Experience writing survey questionnaires and discussion guides, and qualitative in-person interview moderation experience
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.