COORDINATES WITH: Organizing & Alliances staff, Policy & Campaigns staff, Brand & Engagement staff, Communication staff, senior leadership, Resource Development staff, allied organizations, coalitions, consultants, volunteers, influential leaders, and interns.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Advocacy Advisor will strengthen Oxfam America’s advocacy capacity and impact through recruitment, cultivation, and engagement of influential constituencies, especially Oxfam’s Sisters on the Planet Ambassadors in the south western U.S., in support of Oxfam America’s policy advocacy campaigns. The Advocacy Advisor will create new relationships with and more effectively engage Latinx leaders and constituencies in Oxfam’s advocacy campaigns. The Advocacy Advisor will support Oxfam’s campaign work.
- Expand Oxfam America’s influence and impact through strategic high-level relationships with organizations, individuals, and institutions in the southwestern U.S.
- Lead on project management of high-profile events related to Oxfam campaign work.
- Recruit and nurture relationships with existing and new Oxfam Sisters on the Planet
- Effectively engage U.S. Latinx leaders and organizations in support of Oxfam’s policy and campaign priorities, using a wide variety of tactics from building an ally network, overseeing alliance relationships and/or overseeing grants to allies.
- Play a leadership role on Oxfam's Refugee and Protection public campaign work.
- Monitor politics and policy in key target states for various campaigns and where appropriate develop strategic options for action that intersect Oxfam America’s advocacy priorities.
- In coordination with Oxfam America’s media relations team, develop and maintain relationships with media in key target states regarding Oxfam’s policy priorities (including U.S. foreign aid, refugees, and climate change), including key reporters, columnists, editorial boards, radio, and local television stations.
- Represent Oxfam at national and regional events, conferences, and public forums.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning in the field.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in support of a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriated to a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to OA mission and goals.
- Have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Up to 35% overnight travel to Oxfam offices in the U.S. and to key target states; possible international travel; some evening work may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- At least 3-5 years of experience in public policy, government relations, issue advocacy campaigning, or other relevant experience.
- Experience recruiting and managing relationships with high level influential individuals.
- Experience organizing, collaborating and/or representing a diverse group of Latinx organizations/individuals in the U.S.
- Fluent in Spanish (speaking and writing)
- Demonstrated program and team management experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to represent Oxfam publicly and demonstrated public speaking experience.
- Knowledge of the field of international development and human rights.
- Knowledge of U.S. government policymaking processes.
- Experience working with allied organizations.
- Ability to work remotely, without day-to-day supervision
- Competence with online collaboration tools and cloud-based services
- Ability to leverage an existing personal public profile/social media network to promote Oxfam campaign activities.
- Master’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- Knowledge of political landscape and influential communities/individuals in 1 or more southwestern U.S. states.
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.