US Domestic Program Sr. Research Advisor
- Identify research and knowledge needs of Oxfam’s USDP and develop and implement a research agenda. Primary areas of concern are low wage work in US/global economy, income inequality, relevant national policy issues, worker rights, race/gender/immigrant equity, and the US South.
- Provide high quality conceptual development and management of research processes and products for internal and external purposes; this includes identification and oversight of consultants/research institutions, coordination of internal project teams, and ensuring deliverables within established budget and time parameters.
- Commission and/or engage in research that leads to published reports (3-4 times per year).
- Strengthen relationships with relevant research institutions and prominent academics, NGO think tanks, and other public and private institutions in the areas of innovation, markets, and policy.
- Contribute to program goals through external messaging (writing, public speaking, blogging).
- As appropriate, lead development of internal research for program development (scoping, contextual analysis, conceptual development, scenario planning, risk management).
- Provide support to the Manager, USDP and Communications officer in development of publications.
- As requested, cultivate and manage donor relationships and produce concept notes, written strategies and grant reports for donors.
- Engage partners in collaborative research and as appropriate provide support to identified partners in development of specific research agenda.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Availability for domestic travel 4-6 times per year.
Ph.D. degree in a social science or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Seven or more years of experience overseeing significant research projects in related fields, including primary and secondary research of quantitative and qualitative data. Fields may include economics, labor, business, political science, social science, gender, development.
- Three years’ experience working in a non-academic program in a relevant field is preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of the causes of poverty, exclusion and social change processes.
- Ability to synthesize externally produced research into succinct and clear reports that can inform USDP’s programs and advocacy agenda.
- Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively and multi-task in a team setting in a dynamic environment.
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.