Business Data Analyst
What We Are Looking For
NCU is currently seeking a dynamic individual to become part of our Reporting team as a Business Data Analyst.
The Business Data Analyst is responsible for fulfilling the information requests of key decision makers by directly querying against the SQL database, ensuring the accuracy and relevance of that information, and providing access to information in a seamless and timely manner in the form of data extracts, SSRS reports, BI Reports, dashboards, and analytics. The Business Data Analyst interprets results using a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation to complex data mining. Designs, develops, implements and maintains business solutions. The Business Data Analyst also fulfills information and data requests from external stakeholders.
- Uses Structured Query Language (SQL) to gather and assess data from the reporting database, transactional database, operational data store, and external systems to assist university leadership in decision making.
- Supports continuous quality improvement efforts through the use of performance metrics development and monitoring.
- Continually assesses data quality throughout the database and coordinates with IT in the correction of source data or creation of translation sources, where applicable.
- Continually researches and identifies best practices for business data analysis via published literature, formalized training and professional development efforts.
- Authenticates and interprets data based on results using a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation via statistical analysis to complex data mining.
- Communicates and disseminates the results of information gathering using BI software, SSRS, and Excel.
- Collects and reports data in adherence to Federal and State reporting requirements.
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill requirements of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert in SQL query writing.
- Familiarity with push button reporting solutions – Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Studio (SSRS) highly preferred.
- Proficient in Visual Studio.
- Expert in Excel pivot tables and charts.
- Ability to work closely with business owners to determine meaningful metrics and fulfill reporting needs.
- Ability to work closely with IT to develop database structure.
- Work with senior leadership to create and analyze reports and ad hoc data requests for decision making.
- Skill in operating equipment, such as personal computer, fax, copier, phone system.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly to a variety of constituents in both verbal and written communication.
- Attention to detail, highly organized, and ability to execute multiple initiatives within budgeted timeframes.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree with focus in business or related field required
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience conducting data analyses, developing metrics, and creating reports required
- Proficient in query design, generation, and reporting; SQL and SSRS (2008 SQL Server Reporting Services) required.
- Experience with the online delivery of education preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. The physical requirements for performing the essential functions of this position require the team member to be able to:
- Able to sit, stand, kneel, walk, and reach.
- Able to lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Hear well enough to communicate with others.
- Read a computer screen and written material.
- Write, type, and use phone system.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
NCU will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Who We Are
Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally-relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university. As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in healthcare and marriage and family therapy. NCU boasts a one-to-one learning model—one student is paired with one professor in each course—to create a more personalized, individual experience for students enhanced by their professors’ real-world experience. NCU professors all hold doctoral degrees, and none of our programs have residency requirements, affording students access to NCU programs no matter where they live.
Additionally, with the exception of the Department of Marriage and Family Sciences, within the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, all of NCU’s programs are delivered 100% online.
NCU has its headquarters in San Diego, California and administrative offices in Scottsdale, Arizona, and NCU students, alumni and faculty reside in more than 50 countries. NCU is an excellent choice for professionals around the world who share our passion for excellence. We envision growth trends to continue, and eagerly seek highly-credentialed and enthusiastic individuals to join our team.
Are you ready to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to join a growing team of passionate individuals who work together to help others fulfill their dreams through higher education?